1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Model 700

Discussion in 'Hunting & Fishing' started by splitshot, Feb 20, 2017.

1. splitshot

splitshot Head cook, Bottle washer, and Peace keeper. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
  2. splitshot

splitshot Head cook, Bottle washer, and Peace keeper. SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    I had this happen with the 600 Mohawk many years ago. Never put any thought into it but a one time faulty firearm.
    Remington Model 600 & 660

Young stupid kid unloading a round inside a pick-up truck, the rifle discharged and blew a hole in the floorboard when the safety was released...

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017
  3. Devilmans Hand

Devilmans Hand TLCA #19517

Media:
    Albums:
    I've had a few mod 700 come through the shop that would fire without trigger pressed. Only older ones though. Rifles after the last recall haven't had issues from what I could tell.

4. onemanarmy

onemanarmy

60 minutes did a whole segment on this topic last night

5. Waorani

Waorani

60 Minutes also did a similar piece 10-15 years ago. However, common theme among the tragedies focused on were that a loaded gun was pointed at someone.

6. landcruiserjunky

landcruiserjunky

7. Capt. Jim

Capt. Jim

I have one in 30-06 that is over 30 years old. When this issue was first brought to light many years ago, I tried to get mine to fire without using the trigger and could not duplicate. Used this gun extensively over the years and had no issues. There have been untold news stories of guns going bang by themselves. I have kept/carried loaded guns most my life and never had this happen. In my opinion, claiming the gun went off by itself is the only defense for someone's stupid actions.

mr jits and 73fj40lc like this.
  8. Wayne

Wayne Bought by His blood, kept by His power

I have a 700 BDL in 30-06 purchased in 1974 and have never had an accidental discharge (safety issue mentioned).

9. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Surrounded by Cruisers from all over the world
    My uncle shot his 1981 Toyota 4WD pickup in the floorboards when it was about two months old. He always blamed himself for that. His 1960s 700ADL was the weapon of choice. Unfortunately he passed away before the issue was publicized so he went to his grave thinking it was his fault.:(

I now have that rifle and two other 700s of my own. I have not fired any of them in years, nor will I until they have been fixed.

10. Wayne

Dan, what is the "fix" for the 700, and new trigger/safety assembly? I just sent an email to the Remington Help Center asking them what I should do.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
  11. fzr400guy

fzr400guy

Media:
    Albums:
    My 2001 Reminton 700 PSS never had a single issue with the trigger. When I recently had it re-barreled and blueprinted, I installed a Timney 510 trigger. I wished I would have done that ages ago when I 1st bought it. They only run around $110 to $120 and worth every penny.

12. hkeller

hkeller

Does use of the Tunney correct the accidental discharge issue?

13. fzr400guy

fzr400guy

Media:
    Albums:
    It completely replaces the factory trigger assembly.....so yes it does solve any possible issue.

14. Waorani

Waorani

Timney definitely beats stock trigger --- if it doesn't create other problems. They're wider than stock so may not work w/o mods in non REM trigger guard/DBM. May also increase bolt lift weight (very annoying). If all good, they're nice.

15. Wayne

I've contacted Remington twice concerning my 700 and both times they didn't answer my direct question (is my rifle safe?) and directed me to a current Class Action Suit involving the 700. The production dates for the Class Action Suit is recent and involves a completely different trigger assembly than the one in my rifle purchased in 1974. I'm going to contact a gunsmith that specialize in the 700 and see if he knows anything about the earlier models discharging when the safety is place ON.

16. cruiserdan

Wayne I believe the discharge potential is when the safety is released, not engaged. My uncle's rifle discharged when he released the safety.

17. NMC_EXP

NMC_EXP

Any mechanical device can have problems due individual components being out of spec from the factory. Or two mating components being in spec but each being at the extremes of blueprint tolerance (tolerance stack-up) the combination of the two causing problems. If the heat treat is bad the engagement surfaces can wear away and sear engagement is lost.

In the case of triggers three other issues can cause malfunctions:

(1) Unqualified personnel trying to adjust triggers.

(2) Dirty or improperly lubricated trigger assembly - I used to shoot a lot of NRA Highpower competition. Armorers from both the USMC and US Army Rifle Teams recommended cleaning trigger assemblies with aerosol brake cleaner followed by an application of Ronsonol cigarette lighter fluid. Wipe off the excess fluid, do not leave it wet. The Ronsonol provides a little rust protection and lubrication without making sears too slick. It does not act as a crud magnet either. I was taught NEVER to use grease or oil on trigger sears. It is OK to put a drop of light oil on trigger pins. M1 Garand and M14 trigger groups had a couple of spots that needed grease but never grease or oil a bolt gun trigger.

(3) The rifle stock receiver inletting was cut wrong at the factory or the stock has warped over time. This can put the trigger assembly in a bind when the guard screws are tightened and cause all sorts of problems. Mostly true for wooden stocks but synthetic stocks have problems as well.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
    John McVicker likes this.
  18. Wayne

Dan, NMC_EXP, thanks for the info and maintenance suggestions. I've shot my 700 infrequently (maybe 200 rounds total) and praise the Lord never experienced any issues with it, but it only takes one accidental discharge to change your world. I just want the rifle to be safe and will take it to a 700 expert for a look see.

19. NMC_EXP

NMC_EXP

Wayne

As others have pointed out there are several good aftermarket trigger assemblies out there. Doing a trigger group remove/replace involves driving out two pins. Brownells has a good Model 700 trigger R/R tutorial on youtube Some of them require the stock be opened up a bit to fit the new new unit.

With the rifle unloaded you could sit in front of the TV and run a test. Simply cock it, apply the safety, then release the safety and check to see if the striker fell. Doing this a 100 times might be worthwhile for peace of mind. But as you are aware you can never completely trust a mechanical device be it factory or aftermarket.

Another general safety test is this: With an unloaded rifle cock it and with the safety OFF and with the muzzle pointed up, sharply bump the butt on a firm surface. If it has a plastic or metal butt plate you will need some padding. If the striker falls that probably indicates there it not enough sear engagement.

Wayne and John McVicker like this.
  20. cruiserdan

One thing I do not like about the 700 is not being able to open the bolt with the safety on.

Wayne likes this.
Tags: