Modded stock bumpers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Have any of you out there been successful in modifying stock bumpers to carry hi-lift jacks, jerry cans, spare tires, aux lights, etc? Mine are in great shape and I can't even come close to buying a new bumper nor do I have the skill or equipment to make my own. I see the need to carry an extra 10 gal. of gas with me on trail runs and don't want to carry it in the cab. Thanks for any input.

If you have a hitch receiver get a cargo basket and load it up.
Not a bad idea, but those don't seem very trail friendly. Do they make any that sit higher as to not reduce ground clearance? Or ones that swing out so I can access the tailgate without removing it?

Is the stock bumper strong enough to modify it the way I'm talking about? I imagine it would be.

I would put what you can on the front bumper so as not to interfere with the tailgate. I'm sure you could just drill some holes through the bumper and bolt in brackets to hold a gas can or high lift. If you need something that swings away, that would be a lot more complicated.

As for a tire carrier, I think if you mounted a swing-out tire carrier in the traditional fashion (i.e. a hinge on the end of the bumper that latches in the center or on the other side), the bumper probably would bend under the load. I have seen people use a body-mounted swing out tire carrier from a pathfinder on other vehicles, and that would probably do the trick.

:edit:

75873682tdZUrv_fs.jpg

Here's a good one:
f_1000116m_92920f9.jpg

Hitch carrier

Not a bad idea, but those don't seem very trail friendly. Do they make any that sit higher as to not reduce ground clearance? Or ones that swing out so I can access the tailgate without removing it?

I was considering buying this cruiser at one point and you could do something like how the seller modified his hitch carrier. I felt it; it was super strong.
5.jpg

I have a Pathfinder swingout like the one posted above, I'm not sure I'd hang all the rest of that s*** on it. That's like an additional 120 lbs, did he beef it up somehow? Looks good though.

No idea, I found that photo on google as an example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom