Mod ideas during rebuild. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'll be doing work to rebuild my 08 and since I'll have many things apart, it might be a good opportunity to do some mods. I'd love to hear about any cool, practical things you can recommend that I might as well perform while everything is apart and accessible.

Work being done:
- Remove headliner and most interior trim to replace airbags and locked seat belts.
- Remove center console/cooler to replace/reprogram SRS computer.
- Remove passenger door trim to replace side mirror.
- Remove and replace driver's door trim (to fix small tear in leather)
- Remove rear bumper cover to replace bumper cover and driver's quarter panel tail light.
- Remove and replace front passenger fender.
- Remove third row seats (just cause I don't need them)

Things that come to mind as possibilities.
- Add general purpose wiring while interior is pulled apart (future addition of lights, accessories, etc.)
- Add roof rack or at least wiring for light bar while headliner is down (I know they can be added without removing headliner too, so maybe not necessary?)
- Add general purpose switches to said wiring while interior is pulled apart
- Add wiring for upgraded stereo system (sub, amp, fancy speakers). I'm a big audio/music nerd so I'd love to make these upgrades some day!
- Upgrade speakers while trim is out.
- Add car mat/mastic/sound dampening panels while most of interior and roof is disassembled.
- While door trim is off, replace stock side mirrors with towing mirror (Clearview or the knockoffs on eBay)
- While removing center console, perhaps upgrade stereo head unit to one of those cool giant Android things.
- Although I'm replacing the passenger fender, I'm not a huge fan of snorkels. Do they improve mpg, performance or reliability? I doubt I'll ever need one for off-road. Maybe another option?
- I'd love to install a metal rear bumper in place of the broken bumper cover, but I don't have $1-$2k to spend on one right now, so that may have to wait.

Any other ideas, suggestions, upgrades, mods, etc.? Thanks fellas!

This entire website is dedicated to mods and maintenance . My suggestion would be to spend a lot of time reading and trying to figure out what you do and don't like. what you uses will be and what you want in the end. You can go from $100 to $100,000 in mods.

This entire website is dedicated to mods and maintenance . My suggestion would be to spend a lot of time reading and trying to figure out what you do and don't like. what you uses will be and what you want in the end. You can go from $100 to $100,000 in mods.

Honestly, it's overwhelming, there are so many options, but I feel like this is a good opportunity to do something, just not sure exactly what. Right now I'm thinking wires for some lights on roof rack (where do they go? is there an access hole in the roof when you remove the stock roof rack? do you need to drill a hole + grommet + seal?). Beyond that, probably some stereo stuff and maybe switches in the dash for stuff like a winch. Will probably leave the side mirrors stock and pass on everything else, at least for now....unless someone has good suggestions? I really like the idea of added sound proofing, but I have a feeling there's already plenty in stock form and it's probably not necessary.....just not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom