Mobil One Grease (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just purchased Mobil 1 grease (Blue cap w/red grease). Can I apply this to drive shafts and u-joints? Do I grease it until the oil crappy grease comes out?

That's what I use for the chasis (except for the steering knuckles which requires MP grease). Apply few squirts into the u-joints & pumping into each driveshafts till it starts to move.

Frank.

Thanks Frank. WHat is MP grease?

Okay, so let's say I have 'a friend' who added Mobil 1 grease to the plug that the knuckle has on it. What would 'this friend' want to know about this mistake...is it really harmful to have non MP grease in there, should I, I mean 'my friend' redo the knuckles now on my, ahh, I mean 'my friends' truck? :-[ Thanks.

My 'friend' did the same thing :-[ Anyone ??? Problems ???

you guys need to get some new friends....

I've used synthetic grease in my knuckles for over 100K miles and no problem.

The biggest problem with mixing greases is that the combination may cause the entire mess to liquefy and no longer lubricate like it should. That's true in knuckles, u-joints, slip yokes etc. In the case of the birfield mixing with the gear oil is also a problem. The spec requires a moly fortified grease. If a non-moly grease good quality (M1), is in good condition and not mixed then you are getting protection but not as good as what a good moly grease would provide. Would I panic and change it out tomorrow? No if looks to be in good condition. If it looks thin and oily yes. Would I use M1 in a birfield during a repack? No considering its cost and that it is not the best application.

[quote author=Pitbull link=board=2;threadid=12884;start=msg118780#msg118780 date=1078957196]
I've used synthetic grease in my knuckles for over 100K miles and no problem.
[/quote]

Just so I read right, you are using the synthetic grease throughout the knuckle right? In other words, you are not doing what I did and mixing the greases right?

I'm using the synthetic (6 squirts at a time in the knuckles every 3-5K miles) have for the last 100K miles. I've never done the birfields but I only have 135K+ miles on them so I figured I'd wait until they were broken in at 1/4 of a million miles. I use synthetic in the diff's and tranmission and transfer case. I'm doing a research paper on how many miles you can go before you have to repack the birfields (I'm waiting for seal or birfield failure as the time for repack) I know it will cost me $500 per birfield if I damage them. Hey I'm doing this for you guys :)

Also known as throwing one's self on the stake. :)

-B-

Hey, FWIW, not all synthetic greases are the same. The M1 as mentioned is not moly fortified. The Valvoline MultiSnyn is a moly fortified full synthetic that can be used throughout the axle.

Tom

Mine is the Valvoline synthetic :) Guess I got luck and picked the right one by accident. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart.

[quote author=Pitbull link=board=2;threadid=12884;start=msg119573#msg119573 date=1079043787]
Mine is the Valvoline synthetic :) Guess I got luck and picked the right one by accident. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than smart.
[/quote]

Well, I think I missed the lucky and the smart on this one at least so let me ask, is the consensus that unless things start to liquify and leak that it is okay to have the M1 in the plug part of hte knuckle? Thanks, I'm just wondering and I'm just worried about it. Any advice as always is appreciated immensely.

TC,

I'm not sure you'll get a consenus on *anything* around here, but my vote would be to leave it alone unless you see a problem. Start using a moly in the plug (though it won't get to the birf from there.)

-B-

[quote author=Beowulf link=board=2;threadid=12884;start=msg119615#msg119615 date=1079048841]

TC,

I'm not sure you'll get a consenus on *anything* around here, but my vote would be to leave it alone unless you see a problem. Start using a moly in the plug (though it won't get to the birf from there.)

-B-
[/quote]

Thanks, B , I appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom