Mobil 1 0W/40 vs Castrol 5W/30 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So reading around here, people are passionate about their oil, and often recommend Mobil 1 0W/40. It's also quite expensive, probably twice as much as most oil you would put in. So I decided to do a science experiment* that people might find interesting.

I got an oil change at a mechanic that uses Castrol 5W/30. At 3,100 miles, in May, I took a sample and sent it in to Blackstone labs. I replaced the oil with Mobil 1 0W/40 Euro formula. The mechanic used the new/smaller Toyota filter and I used the large one. 3,010 miles later, I sent a sample in to see the difference. I should note I added 1qt of oil shortly before taking the sample because the oil level was at the bottom of the dipstick. I noted this in the Blackstone Labs test, so they should account for it. That also means I spent about $70 on the Mobil 1 oil alone for 3,000 miles.

Here are the results of the first two:
Capture.PNG

The first column is the Mobil 1 fancy oil. The 3rd column is the Castrol oil.

In the Castrol test they wrote:
"There's very little metal overall in this first sample from your Land Cruiser. Universal averages show typical wear levels for this type of engine after about 4,700 miles on the oil. The shorter run is part of the reason for the lower wear, but that's not taking anything away from the fact that the oil sharing parts here are working well together. If there are any mechanical problems, they aren't obvious here. The oil shows nothing alarming. No coolant or fuel dilution is present and the air and oil filters kept silicon and insolubles very low. Excellent engine and report at 190,856 miles."

In the Mobil 1 test they wrote:
"Thanks for the notes. You can see the difference between this oil and the last at the additives (mostly molybdenum and below). This oil uses more boron and less magnesium than the last, and the other additives are at similar levels. Both oils did a great job, producing a similar amount of wear after using a similar interval. There's no sign of a mechanical problem, and steady wear after a similar run is what we should see from a healthy engine. The viscosity was fine and no fuel or water showed up. Feel free to add another 2,000 miles to this oil. Excellent report!"

So when I got the first results (the control), it already felt a bit silly because that oil did really good anyway. The fancy oil wasn't leagues different. I will probably run this oil for another 2k miles and maybe take another sample. But I didn't take a sample at 5k miles on the original oil so I can't compare them. I am not sure what oil I will use next but maybe the discussion here will help move that along.

*With some disclaimers
- I am not a scientist, but I like science
- I am not an expert on oil
- You would need to do this test on multiple oil changes on multiple trucks to establish an aggregate. This is just one truck and two oil changes.

Capture.PNG

A 3,000 mile OCI (oil change interval) is a decades old standard. You are smart to use UOA (used oil analysis) in deciding which oil to use and how long to run it.

Based on the fact that you had to add a quart at 3,000 miles, a thicker oil would be a good idea. If you are really interested in finding out how little difference there is between expensive oil and the cheapest oil you can buy, run inexpensive oil 5,000 miles and send in a sample when you change it.

Many of us run Diesel engine oil in 15w-40. DEO contains a stronger addative package and can therefor be run longer, but a good filter must be matched with it if you intend to run it longer. DEO will also clean your engine up inside.

For more info about why most of us change our oil too often and everything else you ever wanted to know about motor oil, visit A Review of Mineral and Synthetic Base Oils - Bob is the Oil Guy

Mobil 1 full synthetic standard multi-weights are $22.50 for a 5 at jug at Walmart. So less than $5 per at for the 15-50 I run for 10,000 mile cycles on my SC engine with 208,000 miles,

Reactions: RFB
A 3,000 mile OCI (oil change interval) is a decades old standard. You are smart to use UOA (used oil analysis) in deciding which oil to use and how long to run it.

Yep, 3000mi is hardly any kinda test for oil, any old oil will do that. The factory recommended interval is 7500mi or 5000mi for "special operating conditions" and that is for ~20+ year old oil tech.

The biggest advantage of synthetic oils is longer life, if you are making short interval changes, synthetic is a total waste. Changing oil before it's needed does ZERO good. The 1FZ is very easy on oil, just about any oil available now, will easily go 10K mi, synthetic should have no problem going 15k or more. Without the TBN test, your data is pretty much worthless in that regard, it indicates how much life was left in the oil.

Here is one from landtank, ~15k mi on Mobil One 15w-50, still has 3.2 TBN, in other words, good to go further.
oilanalysis-jpg.46365

@98 SNAKE EATER went similar miles on plain old Toyota oil, but his images are gone due to external hosting.

Typically DEO possesses a higher starting TBN, which is another reason to run it and run it longer. Running my oil longer kinda sorta makes me a greener citizen. :hillbilly:

Spending $70 on Mobil 1 for a 3,000 mile run only proves that you need to find a retailer that offers a better price.

Like I said in the first sentence, people are passionate about oil :)

Thanks for the food for thought.

I run Mobil 1 0W40.... in my BMW's. It's $23 per 5 quart jug at walmart so with filter (~$10 - WIX cartridge is ok for BMW) its around $56 per oil change (one car takes 8 quarts, the other 7). I keep the extra for top off's and eventually end up with another full 5 quart bottle after several changes. Intervals are 3k, 5k, basically whenever I feel like it and its not cold outside.

Back to the point, on the cruiser I run Castrol GTX high mileage 10w40, synthetic "blend". Its only $18 per 5 quarts at walmart, Toyota filters are $8 on amazon and the engine has been happy so I'm happy. I do plan to do my first blackstone test in the near future for Sh&$s and giggles but don't expect to see anything life changing.

Snapshot of the insides with oldish oil, probably 3-4k on it. At 307k on the engine it looks good to me and I only add about 0.5 to 1.0 quarts between oil changes (old school interval 3-4k miles).

upload_2018-9-7_20-30-27.png

upload_2018-9-7_20-31-22.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom