Moab to Flagstaff Overland Route to attend Overland Expo West, May 7-11 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking for information on an Overland Route from Moab to Flagstaff, AZ. I think it would be a great trip in May and a great way to start the Overland Expo. Please contribute to the thread any information or experiences on a trail that would work for this adventure.

I will be attending Cruise Moab and wanted to Overland from Moab to Flagstaff to attend Overland Expo West. Would be leaving Moab on the mid morning of the 7th and arrive Flagstaff evening of the 10th or Morning of the 11th NLT 11am to get to Overland Expo to setup our booth.

Anyone wanting to do this, please post in this thread.

I am thinking that there are a few options but the most adventurous would be.
Kane Spring road to Lockhart basin
Lockhart basin to Elephant hill and out Bobbies hole
Beef basin to Elk Ridge
Elk Ridge to Bears Ears
The go south on comb wash and onto the Rez, after that I don't know. I usually don't go wheeling on the Rez.

You could continue the route west through Capitol Reef, Grand Staircase Escalante to the north rim of the Grand Canyon. It would definitely be a cool trip.

Route has been roughed out. Details will be finalized in the next week.

Leave Moab mid morning of May 7th after a great breakfast at the Moab Diner

Head out to La Sal Pass or Lockhart Basin to Monticello - (TBD) - Skill Lvl, Vehicles,

Monticello to Mexican Hat (Start of UTBDR, End for us).

Mexican Hat to Ojato

Ojato to House Rock Valley Road

House Rock Valley Road to Stateline Campground (end of AZBDR, Start for us).

Follow the AZBDR all the way to Winona and then get on I-40 to Flagstaff .

Anyone wanting to go on this with me, please post up.

I did a similar trip in the 1980s from Flag to Moab and back-but I did it because my FST 1968 FJ40 wasn't street legal, so I was basically dodging the law....anyways, driving across the Rez is weird to say the least, and I don't think they really want you poking around too far off the beaten path. The maps I had did not show hardly any of the roads on the Rez, and there were no signs at the junctions. Each two track/dirt road basically went from a small community or group of hogans to the next, where I had to choose from 6-7 roads that would radiate towards the next group of hogans. At one point I came across a trading post that had a couple 55-gallon drums of gas that you had to pump by hand (at close to $4 a gallon back then-which I was happy to pay).

If you go take pics and post!

I did a similar trip in the 1980s from Flag to Moab and back-but I did it because my FST 1968 FJ40 wasn't street legal, so I was basically dodging the law....anyways, driving across the Rez is weird to say the least, and I don't think they really want you poking around too far off the beaten path. The maps I had did not show hardly any of the roads on the Rez, and there were no signs at the junctions. Each two track/dirt road basically went from a small community or group of hogans to the next, where I had to choose from 6-7 roads that would radiate towards the next group of hogans. At one point I came across a trading post that had a couple 55-gallon drums of gas that you had to pump by hand (at close to $4 a gallon back then-which I was happy to pay).

If you go take pics and post!
I will take pics for sure. With the AZBDR in place and functional, it is pretty straight forward.

Lasal pass will most likely be snowed in near the top.

We may be interested in some of that. We will have a couple 80s that will be at Cruise Moab and will be heading to expo also. We are gonna spend Tuesday - Thursday at the Grand Canyon but have Sunday night and Monday night to go make our way in that direction. The only maybe is we may have a 4x4 sprinter van that might join up with us at some point. Can you message me your contact info? I'll get ahold of you at cruise and maybe we can talk about it over a beer. We are camping at the canyonlands even park and campground. My name is Gus.

A fair amount of the land in northern AZ and southern Utah, near the state line, is Reservation land. Please remember to check permits and any other travel rules across those areas as the rules they have in place can often be much different than those on Federal or State public lands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom