Moab to CruiserFest 2016 Trail Ride Details (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

cruiseroutfit

Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
cruiseroutfitters.com
This thread is for registered participants of the 2016 San Rafael Swell to CruiserFest Convoy. Lead by @cruiseroutfit & @SteveJackson

"Take part in this epic expedition of Land Cruiser aficionados as we traverse the wilds of Utah en route to the 8th annual CruiserFest event at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum in Salt Lake City, Utah. This convoy departs north of Green River, Utah on Wednesday, September 7th and travels some of the most remote and scenic back country areas Central Utah has to offer. We will cover nearly 400 miles as we make our travel, enjoying history presentations and trail side discussions along the way. The convoy will conclude Friday, September 10th at the Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, Utah for the official kickoff of the 2016 CruiserFest event. We will be camping on the 7th and 8th along the trail (no cost), camping in Salt Lake City for the evening of the 9th and Saturday the 10th (if you choose to stick around) will be on your own at the SLC KOA. Details on that here: CruiserFest 2016 - Official Info Thread

Route Sketch & Itinerary Details (Subject to change & Update):

Updated Itinerary: (Updated 8/03/16)

Day 1 - Wednesday, September 7, 2016

(If you would like to grab lunch before we depart, please meet at Ray's Tavern at noon)
1:00 PM Meet in Green River, Utah - Location: Chevron Gas Station
1:30 PM Depart Green River towards the San Rafael Swell
7:00 PM San Rafael Swell primitive camping (Camp Night #1)

Day 2 - Thursday, September 8th, 2016

9:00 AM Depart Camp
6:00 PM Skyline Drive primitive camping @ Pete's Hole Reservoir (Camp Night #2)

Day 3 - Friday, September 9th, 2016
8:30 AM Depart Skyline Drive Camp
11:30 AM Ephraim (City)(Lunch & Fuel/restroom - 1 Hour)
1:30 PM Levan/Nephi via Chicken Creek
6:30 PM Arrive to SLC KOA (Camp Night #3, full services available, please book a spot)

Day 4 - Saturday, September 10th, 2016
9:00 AM Light Breakfast at the Land Cruiser Heritage Museum
TBA

All routes and camp are locations subject to change. This is a dynamic run and we may have to make some changes along the way due to weather, our travel speeds, campsites being occupied, etc.

Want to join us?
Please read through the FAQ below and make sure you are comfortable with the run. Beyond that post up so I can get a headcount and know who to look for in Green River. There is no cost for the trail ride, this is just a nice casual group heading to CruiserFest together! We will limit the group size to 12 vehicle so first come-first serve!

RSVP List
1. theferg
2. Juhcohbee
3. bryson
4. mbradshaw
5. eg40
6. eg40
7. Bob B
8. landcrusher909
9. 45Kevin
10. NW Wheeler
11. johnnyG
12. Toyotamech
Alt 1: luisoverlanders
Alt 2:

Last edited:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ):

What if I need to cancel or make changes to my registration?
Please post up and let us know as soon as possible so that we can fill your spot on the trip.

What kind of trails will we encounter and will my Toyota be capable enough?
We have a good deal of terrain to cover as we trek from Moab to CruiserFest thus are routes will be very scenic but less difficult. Time permitting we will plan on Black Dragon Canyon in the San Rafael Swell, this is likely the most technical route we will encounter. Any Toyota 4x4 with good clearance and aggressive tires should be fine. Rocker panel protection and high clearance bumpers are recommended.

Where is the closest fuel?
Our travels between Green River and Salt Lake City will bring us through gas station opportunities. Please make sure your vehicle has a range of approximately 200 miles be it with a single tank or by packing spare fuel.

What kind of trails can we expect?
Please realize this trip will require regular highway speeds on paved roads along with reasonable speeds on extended distances of dirt roads. Please make sure you vehicle is up to the task and ready for 3 days of extended off-road travel on trails up to a 6/10 rating.

What kind of weather can we expect?
The Utah deserts and mountains can be volatile, snow in September isn't uncommon and daytime temps nearing the upper 90's are not either, sometimes in the same day. Overnight lows can vary just the same, lows in the 30's can be common in the mountain areas and 50's in the desert areas. Please pack accordingly.

Will there be room for a friend to join along?
Absolutely, however not in their own vehicle, they must be riding with you. If you have a friend looking to drive his/her vehicle, please make sure they register here so we have an accurate vehicle count.

Where can I park my tow rig and trailer?
Our trip will take us directly from Green River to the Salt Lake with no option to loop back for your tow rig or trailer. If you need to trailer your vehicle to or from the trail head or end, you will need to sort this out ahead of time. We suggest that you find a place in either Green River or Salt Lake to park your tow rig if applicable. Keep in mind that this event includes a considerable amount of highway travel and street-licensed and insured vehicles are a must.

Will we be camping more than one night? Both at the same site?
Yes, we will be camping both Wednesday (9/7) and Thursday (9/8) night’s en route to CruiserFest in Salt Lake City. We will camp in a different spot each night so please plan and pack accordingly. Camping in Salt Lake will be at the SLC KOA (see details above)

Will there be room at the campsites for a small travel trailer?
Preferably no, the routes we plan to travel and our planned speeds and agenda are not trailer friendly. Additionally, our camp sites may not always accommodate trailers in the group camp site so it may be necessary for those with trailers to set up camp a short walk away. If you're already planning to bring an off-road capable camp trailer, please let us know a.s.a.p. and we will do our best to accommodate you with a spot. Keep in mind 4WD will be necessary throughout our trip, so your standard camp trailer wouldn't be appropriate.

What kind of sleeping accommodations should I plan on?
Our campsites will be primitive sites on remote public lands, thus don't expect grass or sand tent sites. Our agenda posted above will give you an idea as to our departure times on each morning, be sure to plan on gear that you can adequately break down and store prior to our departure time. Small ground tents, roof-top-tents and tent-cots would be more appropriate. Spring bars, wall tents and or teepees may be too much work each morning and require you to get up a bit earlier than the rest of the group. It's 100% up to you and your camping preferences.

Can I bring my dog?
Yes, dogs are allowed in the all of the primitive areas we will be visiting. We ask that they be kid friendly and safe around other dogs in camp. We also ask that you be respectful of others and make sure to clean up after your pet. Dogs cannot be left unattended at camp during the day, please plan to take them along with you. Remember this is the desert bring plenty of water for yourself and your pets.

What do I need to bring?
You will need to supply all of your own food, water, cooking supplies, fuel, spare parts, tools and camping gear. You are on your own for meals each day starting with lunch and Wednesday and concluding with dinner on Friday. There will be a CruiserFest kickoff breakfast Saturday morning at the museum. We ask that each participant bring a bundle or two of firewood to contribute to the group campfire each evening. Please arrive Wednesday morning with a full tank and ready to hit the road, we will depart Green River at 12:30 pm. If your vehicle has less than a 200 mile range (off-road travel), please plan on extra fuel. Bring a camp chair to sit around the campfire and camp games such as horse-shoes if you desire. Our camp environments are very social so if you have a talent, story or hors d'oeuvres you would like to share with the group, bring it along!

What should I leave home?
There will be no fireworks, target shooting, inappropriate music or anything illegal allowed in camp or on the trail. Alcohol consumption will absolutely not be tolerated on the trail or while driving, please save it for camp.

What CB Channel? HAM Frequency?
Channel 22 on the CB Radio and Frequency 146.460 simplex on the 2M HAM. We ask that all vehicles have a CB or HAM radio in working order.

Yeah buddy!!! Put me down for Team Moab!!!

Any group reservation possibilities going on for the SLC KOA?--or should we just go for it and make our own reservations?

You're on the list!

Give Jackson a shout on the reservations, he is cooking something up.

I should have read the entire post before I got excited LOL If anyone else is doing a trail run that the 45 would fit into keep us posted Thanks

image.jpg

Last edited:
I'm hoping to make this!

Have room for me on Team Moab?

Yeah buddy!!! Put me down for Team Moab!!!

Any group reservation possibilities going on for the SLC KOA?--or should we just go for it and make our own reservations?

Done

Add me to the list! Can't wait thanks for setting this up!

Done

I'm hoping to make this!

Do it!

Have room for me on Team Moab?

Absolutely!

Add 3 more vehicles for team moab

Done. Please let me know names/usernames of the other two.

Add me to the Moab team please!

Done!

Count me in and we have another 45 trail ready coming down from Canada who would like to join in @45Kevin

You're on the list!

Give Jackson a shout on the reservations, he is cooking something up.

Did I miss where there is more info on this Jackson guy? I want to make a reservation for my wife and I to join up with you all on that Friday night.

Thanks!

Yup, put me down.
I have 5 weeks to worry about the details.
You know, the new engine, the new tires, the new rims, the knuckle job, change all the fluids etc.

Did I miss where there is more info on this Jackson guy? I want to make a reservation for my wife and I to join up with you all on that Friday night.

Thanks!

SteveJackson, my pal from LCD. He'll be chiming in shortly on camp info!

SteveJackson, my pal from LCD. He'll be chiming in shortly on camp info!
Thanks, I like that guy. He was a great part of TEAM MOAB last year :)

Smitty

Awesome all around, sounds like this is quickly becoming a solid group. More details soon...

Please sign me up for that 12th slot! Thanks.

Sign me up, if there is room in there for one more, Kurt

John Gottfredson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom