MOAB October 1-14, 2017!! CANCELLED (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

:flipoff2:
Moab FIRST mentality!!! Tell you wife hands off the goods starting in Jan 2018 till at least GSMTR, that should take care of the kid thing. :D Second, get the cage tied into the frame and you'll be good to go, that should be reasonably easy. Third, I also thought this trip would be a "once in a lifetime" but I've been working on getting back since 2015 and have every expectation I'll do it several more times.

Flying out is the way to do it but you'll find getting into Moab can be expensive or tricky. From my research you have 3 options, fly into Grand Junction, ABQ or Salk Lake. Grand Junction is my preference as it's closest to Moab and a 1 day car rental from GJ to Moab is less than $100 assuming you/we won't need it for the entire time out there.

All that said, there is a lot that needs to fall into place but there is plenty of time to make that happen. I know Spanky was talking the game but I also heard some things that concerned me regarding transport costs and logistics so that will have to be worked out still.

I'd love to get the STLCA guys on board too, we had a great group last time and maybe given enough arm twisting we can get them involved.

Ok - yeah, agree tying in cage, building seat cradle and adding additional cross bracing would be far easier - so lets say 93%....Still going to be a long list of maintenance items, strip down and go through drivetrain/clutch assembly, taking my 6 pin Aisin upgrade to the next level with 7/16 bolts, adding easier to remove mounts for my tranny cross member and belly pan, etc. etc. Lot of other reliability and safety issues I'd like to plan for - so truck survives two weeks of my driving "style".

As to once in a lifetime, shhhhh - that's like when I nodded my head that this will be my last new Duramax.

Logistics - yeah, we'll need to talk more on transpo - this 40 is like a baby to me, had her for something like 22 years, and don't let her out of my sight or stay overnight with strangers. I'm just trying to listen to your "you need the full 14 days!, 10 isn't enough!, just scratches the surface!, yada yada yada....." Hope it'll be several of us from Florida but flying has to make up the time difference. Worst case I will drive out (especially if that's the route Dennis and Steve go).

Is anyone still going and planning to stay at Grandpa's Garage? I need to call and cancel my "reservation" if not.

Yes, at least three of us. Pm or call me about the reservations @ Grandpas, fees, Dates etc.

I am game for whatever the "group" wants to do. I can really camp anywhere :beer:

8 weeks for now we'll be... oh wait, DAMN IT!!!! 1 year and 8 weeks from now we'll be on our way. :meh:

21 Road FTW

Last edited:
Is anyone still going to Grandpa's? I never called and cancelled, but maybe I should.

Hey guys just seeing this. I may be in Moab/southern utah in my troopy. I was going to drive my truck back to fl. If shipping is avail. I could do that or tag along with you guys back to the SE. Looks like i will know a few of you. Thanks Mike

Ah come on 11 pages and then I come to this. I went out west twice last year and was planning on meeting up with some of you guys out in Moab. Butttt I'm still going anyway. I'll be driving out of Florida somewhere around the 1st and spent 17-18 days on the road going to do the Dan Juans in Colorado and Moab. Not hard core. Moderate rig on 33s,rtt, cruising speed somewhere 75-85mph. Any others are welcome in joining in. I believe mellowe (deo) is game for the trip as well.

Drop a line. I'm in CO now and happy to join in.

Why is this 2017 thread still alive. This trip is a dead stick. Starting a Moab 2018 trip. Let's get some new intel going.

Ben, a few various people, although most not even from the original group, are still supposedly going.

Dingo work, this was from my first time a few months ago, do not take video on Friday night. Was using headlamps to finish work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom