Moab in a stock 79? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my buddy really wants to take my 40 wheeling in Moab in April. We've talked about this trip for a long time, but that was before he sold his constantly breaking CJ7 (that thing was such a POS).

So my 79 is bone stock except for an OME 2.5" lift and 33x10.5 BFG Mud Terrains I put on last year. We want to run some of the trails rated at 4 on the Cruise Moab site here: Cruise Moab - Trail descriptions

We were thinking Dome Plateau and Fins and Things.

So here's a list of mods I plan on doing the next few weeks:

Sag PS conversion. (No way I'm wheeling for 3+ hours at a time with manual steering. Maybe if I was in my 20s still)

Aussie locker

Rotopax 2 gallon water and gas cans mounted to spare. Check them out here: Home , Looks like a good solution without going full swing out jerry can bumper.
9244704_orig.jpg

So my 40 just had a complete tune up in 2015 with new plugs, wires, rotor, dizzy cap etc. I just replaced the radiator with a new OEM one (so glad I was able to stay OEM). I just replaced the battery with a new Interstate and replace the battery tray with a new OEM one and wire wheeled the connectors to look new again.

Here's what I'm planning to bring in case of a breakdown: Socket sets, crescent wrenches, pliers, extra gear oil, extra coolant, extra motor oil, extra fan belt. Cooler with food and bottled water.

Anything obvious that I'm missing? I've never done rated trails like this before so I'm pretty green when it comes to this stuff.

I don't need to bring extra birfs for mild wheeling like this right?

Any advice or warnings would be greatly appreciated.

Oh I also repainted the bumper/bumperettes last weekend too.

7VdIdJV.jpg

0Zm5dPr.jpg

JRZqbNd.jpg

OqYSb84.jpg

The 40 would be very capable once you got it to Moab but you didn't mention if you were driving, towing or trailering if it to get there. Those are things to consider. From what I can tell you're in New Mexico so that's a lengthy drive but doable.
The weather can still be variable so you'll need to put the top on if you have it. Have fun. If it breaks, just fix it!

Sorry I should have added that to my post. My buddy just bought a 2017 Silverado HD2500 with the new Duramax so he wants to just trailer it there. I'd be more worried about doing a road trip than wheeling to be honest, I've never driven the thing further than 30 miles one way.

Driving your 40 daily will help bring any bugs to your attention b4 u take it to a harsher environment. As far as capability in those trails u should be fine. Air down to 10 or 12 psi on the trail and make sure u don't get lost. Make sure u know the terrain u are driving over. Many times in moab u come over a rise and can't see what's in front of, that's when u get out and check. I almost didn't do this once-and had I not it would have been real bad. If your open diff it's highly unlikely you'll break a birf. Also, make sure your float bowl level is adjusted right.

Having done Fins and Things in my 69' several years ago, I think you'll likely be just fine. There MAY be some spots where you scrape based on your departure angle, the bumperettes do not help matters but look nice.

Make sure that your brakes are totally up to snuff as there is some pretty steep stuff (but short) that you'll want to use a combination of low gearing and brakes in order to control your descent.

What White Stripe said. The traction on the slickrock (sandstone) trails is fantastic; air down to take advantage of it. If you do get some slippage, then practice your left-foot braking to force some torque back through the diffs to the other (non-slipping) side.

FWIW, I've driven my 40 to southern Utah and back from Texas more than once. And I've wheeled it there (and everywhere else) without power steering. :meh:

I've done Moab with no PS twice now. Even did Rusty Nail though there is no need whatsoever to do the trails that likely will cause body damage. Plenty of trails with no risk of scratches too.

Any excuse to post these pics...

Here she is on the obstacle "No Left Turn"
untitled.png

And at the top of "Riff-Raff"
IMG_1161_zps2f9b8cae.jpg

If your 40 is bone stock you might want to consider EPS since it is bolt on and could be removed easily if you ever wanted to sell (I know blasphemy!).

Check out @Racer65 's for more info. If you can do the install of the Saginaw yourself I think it is cheaper but if you have to have someone do it the bolt on I think ends up cheaper.

If your 40 is bone stock you might want to consider EPS since it is bolt on and could be removed easily if you ever wanted to sell (I know blasphemy!).

Check out @Racer65 's for more info. If you can do the install of the Saginaw yourself I think it is cheaper but if you have to have someone do it the bolt on I think ends up cheaper.
Never realized the EPS option for the 40. I put it on my 07 Polaris Ranger 4 years ago, beat the crap out of it, and still is flawless FWIW. I'm checking that one out. As far as your 40 being capable, I think it is more than enough to manage Moab. Not that I've been there, yet.

I've done Moab with no PS twice now. Even did Rusty Nail though there is no need whatsoever to do the trails that likely will cause body damage. Plenty of trails with no risk of scratches too.

Any excuse to post these pics...

Here she is on the obstacle "No Left Turn"
View attachment 1408784

And at the top of "Riff-Raff"
View attachment 1408785

Wow awesome pics. That's pretty impressive you were running those trails with no PS and on 33s.

The idea of EPS is pretty cool, but I really wanted to eliminate the center arm and the extra drag link that can interfere with larger tires on the driver side. Plus I know I'll be able to replace the Saginaw stuff at any auto parts store anywhere.

Having done Fins and Things in my 69' several years ago, I think you'll likely be just fine. There MAY be some spots where you scrape based on your departure angle, the bumperettes do not help matters but look nice.

Make sure that your brakes are totally up to snuff as there is some pretty steep stuff (but short) that you'll want to use a combination of low gearing and brakes in order to control your descent.
^^This^^

The idea of EPS is pretty cool, but I really wanted to eliminate the center arm and the extra drag link that can interfere with larger tires on the driver side. Plus I know I'll be able to replace the Saginaw stuff at any auto parts store anywhere.

Cool just figured if you were concerned about value and keeping it stock that you should know about that option (if you didn't already). Moab is awesome I loved riding my mountain bike there. Some crazy terrain.

I plan on making the trip to moab in a year or two. I plan to redo some steel on my 42 as its was done 10+ years ago and is showing its age. See if i have all the parts aquired by winter then get busy in the garage then head to moab in 2018.

FWIW you don't have a stock 79 when it has a lift and 33s.:flipoff2: Agree on trying to do a Toyota PS conversion versus Saginaw. Looks so much better and if you do it with new or freshly rebuilt parts you won't need a parts store for a long time.

@Awl_TEQ Bitchin pic of your rig at Moab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm soooo jealous of your rig! That's a beauty. Living in Utah has it's perks, hehe. I've had my Cruiser for over 20 yrs. and when I first got it my friends and I would travel to Moab several times a year. I did Fins N Things, some of Golden Bar Rim, Hell's Revenge and few others bone stock. That being said my Cruiser stills bares some scars from those trips and provided motivation for the upgrades I have today. Good brakes are a must (obviously), your lift will provide great clearance and if you get your PS in you won't regret it. Take a good tow strap and a Hi-Lift jack. Your rig should be able to tackle Gold Bar Rim which has some pretty awesome views and you can take quick detour to see the Gemini Bridges from the top.

Front and rear tow points? If/when you get hung up you will need something other than axles or suspension components to hook a shackle and strap to. Nice rig, have tons of fun!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom