MOAB 2018!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That's exactly the point I was making. Woody's place is only a major requirement for repairs and showers IMO. Obviously worth it for repairs, but worth trailering twice a day for a shower????

That's exactly the point I was making. Woody's place is only a major requirement for repairs and showers IMO. Obviously worth it for repairs, but worth trailering twice a day for a shower????

the rest of us are still playing catch up to you, please be patient. :flipoff2:

IF we stay at the SH campground we need to reserve a spot ASAP and I suspect that we'll need a group campsite. Last I looked $65/night up to 4 trucks, $15/night for each rig after 4.

Here is some info from Woody:

woodyunhelpful spotterStaff Member Admin

It is 20-30 minutes from the house...there is no back way. Buggy/not streetable guys are best off at the state park, or remote camping on BLM land (The westernWashington Dam access is perfect forthat). Very trailerable, I see 5th wheelsthere regularly.

If they do a group site in the State Park, then the size of the group won't matter, so basing most from the park makes more sense. The ONLY oddity is the park gates close at 9pm (maybe 10pm), but drinking/driving around here is dumb anyways, and nothing is open that late.

BE SURE all rigs are either licensed, or a UT OHV permit is on them. State Park staff can be stupid, and have been known to tow/impound. ALSO, a FLAG is REQUIRED in the State Park...the access is literally 100' of sand to the BLM (no flag required) area, but that 100' almost guarantees a ticket....or any other travel not on the paved road within the state park. $10 for a flag is good insurance. I run one regardless.

The offroading area is BLM....much much nicer in these parts. The Washington Dam access is BLM and free/open camping. Watch for nails...idiots with pallets abound.

Excellent info Roger, thanks for getting and posting that up.

I like the idea of the "open" camping. Mostly just so we don't have to deal with and worry about reservations.

@woody, I know you said you see 5'ers in there, but in your opinion, would mine and Roger's big, heavy, long, low rigs be able to get in and out okay? I'm mostly worried about getting stuck in soft sand.

An option to keep open if anyone wants/needs to not camp out any or all nights is that one or two people can stay at the park with all the rigs at night while others can go back to civilization (Woody's place I presume) for the night.

I don't forsee an issue....unless it rains...this month has seen .01" of precip thus far. However, once you cross under the bridge, the gravel road goes away and it is rougher access. Not undoable, but rougher.

Amenities are obviously nicer at the State Park, and easier to access...and the water is 100 yards away...hard to beat that after a day of wheeling in 90-100 degree temps. Today was in the 80's.

If it were me, suck it up and camp at the State Park. I have friends in StG who travel 20 minutes to spend the weekend there with their families.

Ted, you recently posted that all but four spots at the State Park are already booked up. I agree that getting spots in the park would be ideal, and I'm all FOR staying there, but I doubt we'll be able to make an accurate reservation for at least another 6-10 months. By then they will almost surely be full. We could go ahead and book some spots now, but who will be the lucky one that gets to front their credit card?

Ted, you recently posted that all but four spots at the State Park are already booked up. I agree that getting spots in the park would be ideal, and I'm all FOR staying there, but I doubt we'll be able to make an accurate reservation for at least another 6-10 months. By then they will almost surely be full. We could go ahead and book some spots now, but who will be the lucky one that gets to front their credit card?

Go back and reread that post, i corrected my own statement per the 1st pic. We are able to reserve up to 11 months ina advance for the group sites. 11 months in advance is NOW.

Go back and reread that post, i corrected my own statement per the 1st pic. We are able to reserve up to 11 months ina advance for the group sites. 11 months in advance is NOW.
I know we are ABLE to. What I was getting at is that if you were to call and reserve right now, what would you reserve for? How many spots, how many rigs and how many people would you plan for? We'd have to overbook and cancel whatever we don't need about a month before arrival I guess?

If we can reserve the group area for $65/day and pay for additional people when we arrive then let's reserve it for at least 5 days.

If we can reserve the group area for $65/day and pay for additional people when we arrive then let's reserve it for at least 5 days.

Agreed. Roger, hate to dump on your shoulders but any chance you can call them in morning? I have 10 am meeting and they dont open until 10 or 11

I know we are ABLE to. What I was getting at is that if you were to call and reserve right now, what would you reserve for? How many spots, how many rigs and how many people would you plan for? We'd have to overbook and cancel whatever we don't need about a month before arrival I guess?

1 group site holds up to 100 people, are you expecting more?

Agreed. Roger, hate to dump on your shoulders but any chance you can call them in morning? I have 10 am meeting and they dont open until 10 or 11

I am leaving for Windrock at 10am. You will have a chance to call before I will.

1 group site holds up to 100 people, are you expecting more?
I'm used to campground "group sites" being only big enough for 2-4 vehicles and 8-12 people. Didn't realize theirs was set up for that many. Makes sense now. Sorry for my confusion.

Cancellations cost $18.25. Changes can be made up to two days prior to your scheduled arrival date and incur a $5 change fee per site. Not gonna break the bank obviously, but just putting the info out there.

Site Details:
  • Site Type: GROUP STANDARD
  • Site Reserve Type: Site-Specific
  • Site Access: Drive-In
  • Checkin Time: 3:00 pm
  • Checkout Time: 2:00 pm
  • Type of Use: Overnight
  • Min Num of People: 1
  • Max Num of People: 100
  • Pets Allowed: Domestic
  • Min Num of Vehicles: 1
  • Max Num of Vehicles: 16
  • Driveway Surface: Gravel
  • Driveway Length: 127
  • Max Vehicle Length: 60 I wonder if this is a suggestion or a policy? Could be an issue for me and Roger.
  • Site Length: 127
  • Site Width: 127
  • Campfire Allowed: Y
Group sites have 4 tables and 1 large fire ring in each area. The first 4 RV's/vehicles are covered by the fee paid upon reservation. Additional RV's/vehicles (up to 16) will be charged an extra vehicle fee upon arrival. Group Standard Sites - $65.00/night. This fee covers the first 4 vehicles only. Campsites limits 16 vehicles-extra vehicle fee of $15.00/per night per vehicle applies to the 5th thru 16th vehicle.

Last edited:
Everything is great except max vehicle length, I'm 80 ft. Steve How long are you ? Guess if they complain we can find a place to drop the trailers.

Everything is great except max vehicle length, I'm 80 ft. Steve How long are you ? Guess if they complain we can find a place to drop the trailers.
Not sure what trailer I'm going to have for this trip yet, but almost no way I'll be under 60'. As usual, they'll probably not be used to or expecting rigs like ours, but there are a few big parking lots that maybe we can use if they don't want us in the group area.

Been lurking, but agree with reserving the spot and paying cancellation if details don't fall into place. As planning progresses, I'm willing to front my share for deposits, etc. within reason (and will forfeit such if something goes sideways and I can't go).

Showers a must if it's hot - but so help me, looking forward to dry heat and cooler evenings - that in itself is a vacation for me.

Carry on. Bill.

P.S. How much is the State OHV pass that Woody mentioned you neede to go 100'

Been lurking, but agree with reserving the spot and paying cancellation if details don't fall into place. As planning progresses, I'm willing to front my share for deposits, etc. within reason (and will forfeit such if something goes sideways and I can't go).

Showers a must if it's hot - but so help me, looking forward to dry heat and cooler evenings - that in itself is a vacation for me.

Carry on. Bill.

P.S. How much is the State OHV pass that Woody mentioned you neede to go 100'

trying to wrap up my week a little early but not looking good right now, will be back home probably late this evening.

I'll book but will happily take donations covering the cost via Paypal, I'm guesstimating cost to be around $350 and I'll cover Roger's part as my diesel down payment. of the 4 ppl in this conversation that's about $90/per person unless more ant to chip in, I can always return the $ if needed.

Of course, if someone want's to go ahead an book before I can get to it please do. create account on SH campground site and select group site with dog accommodations. I looked several days ago and believe campsite #8 at the Sand Pit? location was acceptable.

paypal: tkinsey@novatelco.com

Thanks @Sputnik40 , got your c-note. Still at work, heres my current view.

20171027_182511.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom