MLK Day Run - Zuni Mountains (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings All,

@FJCTom and I have made it a tradition to put together a trail ride on MLK day each year. We have been talking with @Dumpolina and a few other guys about heading out this year and it looks like it's a go.

Our plan is to head west and do some exploring in the Zuni Mountains SW of Grants. We will probably enter the mountains via Zuni Canyon on FR49, maybe check out Quartz Springs Hill, then branch off to the north on 480 toward Mt. Sedgwick. The initial goal will be to drive up Sedgwick, take in the views then do some exploring. I am guessing there will be snow on the ground, but how much is anyone's guess. I have not found a good source for up to the minute intel on trails out there. With the recent warming trend, I'm thinking there shouldn't be more than a foot in most places, and likely some muddy spots.

Beyond that, the plan is just to explore. There are several historic mining areas in the vicinity like Diener where I've read one can find colorful copper ore fragments, and old railroad beds crisscross the area in many places. Further east there are other geographic features like Lookout Mountain and the Notches (possibly blocked by a gate) that might be options for exploring. Worst case scenario is the snow is too deep/icy and we stick to the main roads, then head out toward the south and check out Oso Ridge fire lookout, maybe the Big Tubes area in El Malpais, Chain of Craters Backcountry Byway, or El Morro.

Really, there are a ton of options that would make for a fun day.

Travel distance to the dirt is 1hr 25min. Weather calls for mostly sunny, with a high near 40. Breezy. I'm thinking of a departure time of 9am at the latest to give us a full day. Meet up at a convenient location off 25/40 and caravan west.

Would like to keep the group fairly small, maybe 5-6 rigs max to keep the speed up. Post up if you are interested!

I’m in!!

Just to be clear, that would be on the Monday that I don't have off?

Yes, I should have made it crystal clear initially... the run is planned for Monday January 21st, 2019 on the MLK Day Holiday.

Rendezvous location manana? I’m in uptown so anything is easy.
I’ll be in the pickup

How about the NE corner of Montgomery & I-25 in the dirt lot adjacent to Discount Tire? That's the usual spot we use, easy to get to and easy to get back on the freeway. There is a gas station there, and a Blakes right up the road if you have a hankering for a burrito.

I'll be in the 4Runner, and Tom in the FJ unless he brings rental.

How about the NE corner of Montgomery & I-25 in the dirt lot adjacent to Discount Tire? That's the usual spot we use, easy to get to and easy to get back on the freeway. There is a gas station there, and a Blakes right up the road if you have a hankering for a burrito.

I'll be in the 4Runner, and Tom in the FJ unless he brings rental.
Cool! 9? I can do anytime 7:30 or after if you want

I'm okay if we bump it up to 8. What say you, Tom?

Any earlier than that and I will have trouble making it there on time. My kids wake up at 7 and I like to have a little time with them before leaving on these trips.

Got it no prob I’ll be there thanks!!

Very excellent day! Thanks @FJCTom & @BigFishAllDay
More to come no doubt
00FFD256-1D96-4AD3-B3AE-289062FEC2FC.jpeg

Had a great day outside with you guys @FJCTom @Dumpolina , looking forward to next time.

Tom took it too far left and got the honor of "first stuck truck". Warm up exercises ensue.

lsrNGQ8h.jpg

Sounds like a challenge...

YLpmRB9h.jpg

Riding along in his automobile.

d7VRxtoh.jpg

There's a road out there somewhere.

wJe51pkh.jpg

KyDH0djh.jpg

We got some exercise and made quite the mess after I tried to follow said road.

tCGuwE7h.jpg

Dog was not amused by the snow. I think if he had a choice he'd have stayed home.

gw7xOi7h.jpg

Nothing but fresh snow ahead on a narrow uphill track with a steep drop off driver side. Locked F/R and 12-13 psi in the tires and I was having to back up and hit it again 10 feet at a time, sliding closer to the edge each time I backed up. We opted to stay out of trouble and come back another day.

z1AI2lHh.jpg

Turning around without backing off the very steep hillside to the right.

oVTvUbEh.jpg

Sparse pine forest, the result of a century of heavy logging.

9aMLADgh.jpg

Snow was swirling in the wind all over this hillside.

lZiVllph.jpg

Some nice views of Mt. Taylor as we came down from the hills.

GDsJnBnh.jpg

Airing up in 30mph wind and darkening skies.

669YQhNh.jpg

WCWgZfoh.jpg

A45088Dh.jpg

Love that view of the Sandias when I'm driving home from the west...

1ze9UMxh.jpg

Thanks for the trip report and pics! Looks like a blast. I thought of you all Sunday at midnight when I was passing through on I-40.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom