Hilux Mk3 5th Gen Hilux Factory Diff Lock. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads

This owners manual is from a 1990-91 Hilux with the instructions and location of the magic dial for factory diff lock. I noticed the dash light on my Hilux and wasn't aware these were available in anything other than a landcruiser during that era. Sure enough when I open the manual I find the instructions for it. Do Toyota pickups of that same era have that same RR DIFF LOCK dashboard indicator light?

I don't know definitively the answer to your question, but I don't believe the US Mini trucks with the 8" diffs ever had a factory rear diff locker available. I think somewhere around the '98-99 model year, the 3rd Gen 4Runners and Tacoma's started offering a rear e-locker option for the 8" diff, and with some modification to the axle housing, those will fit into the earlier mini truck axle housings. Since I don't believe there was an option for it, I also doubt that there is a dashboard light on those pre-tacoma mini trucks.

What size rear diff does your Hilux have?

It is the 8" diff. Outback Imports - Used TOYOTA DIESEL HILUX 4x4 TRUCK for sale The first truck lists Rear Factory Electric Differential Locker, Factory Electric Winch. I had thought this was a typo or retrofit but after looking at the dash of my own 1991 and the manual I think they exist. It would be pretty nice to have a solid axle double cab with factory locker and winch. They must only exist in the Japanese Domestic Market because I never saw one with these options in Australia, Europe, or South America.

Your manual and your dash light are some pretty compelling evidence.

Not exactly factory, but fits the Harrop fits your diff and you can buy the factory switch: A9334 Harrop Eaton ELocker™

Post some pictures of your Hilux, I'd love to have a 4 door Hilux...maybe one day.

EDIT: Ok, nevermind, did a quick search and found your truck, looks great, absolutely love those 4 door hiluxes. I see you are aware of the Harrop elocker option.

Last edited:
Yes I have Harrops in mine with the standard switches. That is when I noticed the dash light on my own truck. I was thinking about using the land cruiser factory dial and hooking into the dash to light up the RR dash light and then making another for the front like below.

ui2ikfac2996e2fviewattth12d814ca9f1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom