Mixing old and new Brake systems (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

thecrazygreek

A.K.A. TheCraftyGreek
Threads
I have a 69, but I want to run 71+ brake lines and master. I have a 71 tub, which allows the newer master.

My question is, will the hard line - to - brake cylinder connections work? Going from a 71+ to a 69 wheel cylinder?

Are there diff size connections? I dont want to buy the wrong parts...

Thx guys

fitting on the dual master cylinder is 10mm 1.0 thread.

DSRTRDR said:
fitting on the dual master cylinder is 10mm 1.0 thread.
From what I gather this is what he meant:
1. He is bolting on a 71+ brake master
2. He is putting in new brake lines for a 71+ brake system
3. He is keeping his 69 wheel cylenders
4. He would like to know if all this works together or if there is any difference in stuff like fittings...did I get this right?

Thats exactly what I'm asking, thx for making it clear... :)

I put all new brake lines in my cruise, and it does not matter if they fit or not. You can get adaptors for the ends. That is what I had to do, when I put a 76' front axle on my 67' fj40. The ends of the brake line are larger for 76'. Size down was needed for 67'.

Thats great info, do you have a part number or link I can take a look at? "Adaptor" is a bit vauge. Thx

When bending up the new lines why not just keep the old fittings for the 69 cylinders on one end and the newer fittings for the master cylinder on the other? That is what I did when I put a chevy master cylinder in my 64 FJ40.

You could get wheel cylinders from guys who have put disks on the front of later cruisers, pretty sure you could just bolt em right in if you don't want to cut and flair lines with the fittings you need. Then they would match your master cylinder

I wouldn't reccommend using used wheel cylinders - not worth the hassle, just pony up and buy new, newer style cylinders. Or the best bet is just upgrade to RDB and be done with it.

If no RDB - then keeping the old fittings (assuming they aren't froze up) and making new "custom" lines is the cheapest and easiest way to get there from here.

I think this applies to your application. I have a late 68 model and have searched EVERWHERE for new fittings for the small size like you have , and they don't exsist. I am doing a front disk conversion with mini truck master which I believe is the same thread as the cruiser parts you are using. I am replacing all hard lines with the newer thread and only reflairing at one point where the line goes to the rear brakes so I will have all 68 thread for the entire rear system. You can have some race shops double flair an end with one of the old fittings for a couple bucks, if you don't have the tool, it takes some practice to get it right. good luck hope this helps. Tom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom