Mixed up left and right birfields - Any way to tell which side is which? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm dumb and didn't realize our solvent tank removed the paint pen marks indicating the left birf and right birf. I was hopping to swap sides. Is there a trick one could use to identify which is which? Obviously they're separated from the axles.

The only reason to switch sides is if they are worn. If they are, you should be able to tell which side was which, as the driven side of the ball races would be worn more. If you can't tell, it probably doesn't matter. Otherwise, the parts are identical, there is no left or right.

Thanks for the info. No clicking that I heard and everything appears to be in good shape despite 262k. I sure hope they don’t start clicking a few thousand miles after I get everything back together :)

The side that moves the easiest (star/cage) is likely the left side (US driver's side). Put that one on the right when you reinstall it to help even out the wear, just like rotating tires, you'll get more miles out of the set. IME.

Be sure to pack the CV joints well with a high Moly content grease before
you stuff the axle shafts into them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom