Mitsubishi Delica? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Gold Boy

🇨🇦 🇺🇸
SILVER Star
Threads
i need to purchase a 4wd or awd small suv for my wife, and one of the options is the delica.

just wondering how reliable they are, and how easy are they to work on and what are they like to drive....?

One of my pals recently bought a Delica. He LOVES it. I think they're really cool rigs - a kooky van with real 4WD and a t-case. Can't answer the first two questions, but I drove his and thought it was a fun rig - like driving a small, goofy RHD bus :D
His seats 7, has 2 rows of captain's chairs and a 3rd row bench. The middle cap seats swivel 180 degrees to face the rear seat, and the whole works folds into a bed.
It's no hot rod though - the turbo diesel only makes around 80-ish horses. His is an auto, if I were buying (and if I needed this type of vehicle the Delica would be my choice) I'd get a 5 speed.

The Delica and Pajero share the same engine and drive train. Because of the engine location in the Delica - centre mount - it is much harder to work on than the Pajero. The Delica, because of its lack of aerodynamics, gets worse fuel economy than the Pajero. The Pajero gets around 30-34 miles/gallon. At its best, the Delica will return 30 miles/gallon. There is also some question regarding the Delica's stability given its higher centre of gravity and boxy design. You can not drive this Van like a mini-van. On the other hand, the Pajero handles quite well in the corners. The Delica wins hands down when it comes to useable space. All the seats inside fold flat to make up a nice sleeping quarter. They are very easy to convert into campers and would make a sweet expedition rig for 2 people. The other plus on the Pajero is that all parts (except diesel engine parts) are locally available in the Americas. The Pajero was marketed here as the Montero.

I was seriously considering a delica or the toyota 4x4 van (townace) while we were van shopping. The Toyota lost to the Delica after a road test; extremely gutless and the steering shaft goes straight down between the pedals and your feet. I found that very uncomfortable.
I didnt drive a Delica, but did go for a ride in one and found it very nice. The seating layout (swivel second row captain chairs) was excellent, but in the end I couldnt talk the wife into RHD, and the sliding door on the one side was a bit of an issue as well.

We do enjoy our Sienna, but the lack of a transfer case in it makes me sigh after driving by an ever increasing amount of Delicas.

some guys are bringing in same year VW westy synchros from europe but they're usually up in the $20K G range...vs a 10 - 14K Delica... (well not exactly apples to apples with the full RV set up w/ pop up. but....)

if anyone's curious: Rv Westfalia Volkswagen Mercedes BMW Porsche Subaru Occasion (they do a very similar pre sale prep as outback/luxury)

been keepin an eye out on how the delicas are doing so far myself... my only issue is with a crash, parts are gonna be a PIA to get, no?

but how 'bout them newer delicas in japan that we can't get yet, wow, fun watching those on youtube..

THe 5spd Delica will return less MPG than the auto and tops out at 90 kms / hr with bigger tires around 3000+ rpms - at least on my buddies rig here in town. My advice is to drive the auto and 5 spd before deciding. Personally, I think the build and finish quality on the Yota's is superior but that is only my own thoughts (bias)- dont mean to whip up a frenzy here....Parts seem to be easier to come by on the Delis (like a windshield, DOT headlights etc). Only 1 engine to consider in the Yota van - the 3L 2800cc, stay away from the 2400 2L.
Have fun!

thanks for your replies, most helpful.... :cool:

i here that changing the delica's timing belt is very difficult.

Wait another year and get a Space Gear...far superior to the current Delica's we get in Canada. More powerful engine, safer, roomier, and way cooler in every respect...

Delica87xtra_002.jpg

X2 I have seen some pics of nicely built up Space Gear Delicas.

Although they are a true 4x4 with a T-case, it seems that it is a bit difficult to get a locker for them if you want one. I have been trying to help one of the delica.ca forum members find a locker. Currently he is using chains when needed but I think has gotten tired of putting on chains all the time. The diesel models of the Delicas only come with a 7.25" Dif and only ARB makes a locker for the 8" Dif found in the petrol models. You can bolt in an 8" Dif from a petrol Pajero or Montero if you can find a used one at a good price. Not sure what Dif the Space Gears will have and if they will continue to use the same drivetrain as the pajeros and monteros. Nonetheless, of the JDM mini-vans, they are the nicest.

Wait another year and get a Space Gear...far superior to the current Delica's we get in Canada. More powerful engine, safer, roomier, and way cooler in every respect...

I love my Deli. They are really very well-built. The gas mileage is only so-so (I don't get much better than my HDJ81 in it, with far less power), but the seating is very comfortable and I think they look fantastic. Driving mine down in the USA I lost count of the number of people who came up to ask "what is that? where can I get one?". The spacegear is a much more "modern" looking vehicle but to my mind doesn't look 1/2 as cool as the boxy cab-forward look of the deli.

Lower trays od the Delicas

Hello

I have a 2.8 1994 Mitsubishi Delica space gear and I wonder if considering that the Delica shares the same frame than the Pajero... do they use the same front lower trays? could I replace my delica's lower tray by one of the 1992 Pajero?. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom