Mistakes may have been made. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Started with me prepping to receive some parts and finishing wiring up the OEM lockers to the ARB’s, CDL Switch and 7 pin mod.

Well in the process I removed the plug on the portion of the harness where the CDL switch goes. I was unaware it acted as a jumper cable to allow the CDL to disengage when going back to 4hi.

long story short after we went and did some mild wheeling I could not disengage the CDL. I didn’t know it at what time that the plug I tossed was required. I ended up driving home approximately 35 miles at mostly highway speeds. I avoided tight turns on our stops as best I could.

What damage may have been done and should I have just pulled the front shaft.

Was it sheer coincidence that my pass front axel seal may I have went. I’m noticing a little fluid on the birf but the axels were rebuilt during the locker and gear install last year.

This will probably cause a blown head gasket.....

Haha, JK. It most likely wasn't good for your rig but you will probably be fine.

People rock crawl them all the time, not to worry ;)

As I understand it the CDL just sends power equally to the front and rear axels. With the differentials unlocked the wheels will still be able to turn at different speeds through turns etc. While probably not great for it I doubt you did any harm. I once drove 150 miles at 70MPH with my Chevy 2500 in 4-wheel high because I forgot to turn it off after driving out of some sand and nothing happened to it. And that was with a cab over camper in the bed and towing a trailer...

Started with me prepping to receive some parts and finishing wiring up the OEM lockers to the ARB’s, CDL Switch and 7 pin mod.

Well in the process I removed the plug on the portion of the harness where the CDL switch goes. I was unaware it acted as a jumper cable to allow the CDL to disengage when going back to 4hi.

long story short after we went and did some mild wheeling I could not disengage the CDL. I didn’t know it at what time that the plug I tossed was required. I ended up driving home approximately 35 miles at mostly highway speeds. I avoided tight turns on our stops as best I could.

What damage may have been done and should I have just pulled the front shaft.

Was it sheer coincidence that my pass front axel seal may I have went. I’m noticing a little fluid on the birf but the axels were rebuilt during the locker and gear install last year.

The rig is probably junk now. Ill give you 3k. PM me.

You can swap in your hazard switch to unlock the CDL.

As I understand it the CDL just sends power equally to the front and rear axels. With the differentials unlocked the wheels will still be able to turn at different speeds through turns etc. While probably not great for it I doubt you did any harm. I once drove 150 miles at 70MPH with my Chevy 2500 in 4-wheel high because I forgot to turn it off after driving out of some sand and nothing happened to it. And that was with a cab over camper in the bed and towing a trailer...

probably so, just not sure of why the axel seal decided to let go after the trip?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom