Missing Connector for a Rod on the Carb (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to change my username to dumb questions until I sort through the whack-a-mole game I'm playing. I assume from some other pics that this rod needs to be attached around where I have the red arrow. Mine isn't connected - simply dangling free.
  1. Do I need a little washer & cotter pin like the one right behind it?
  2. Can someone dumb this down for me? My guess is that as I increase throttle that rod should move and thus swivel the piece it should be connected to ... possibly opening or closing the secondary valve?
1973 original F and I think the carb is dated Jan 1972. Truck runs great until 40 mph and / or hard throttle and then hesitates. if I keep pushing I get a backfire out of the exhaust. I thought I had knocked this down a few weeks ago but it's back, and I wonder if this rod got disconnected between then and now.

Lastly, I have a vac adv distributor from SOR but realized this carb doesn't have an vacuum port. Am I OK capping the port on the dizzy or should I find a different mech adv dizzy?

As always, much appreciated! I'm always impressed with everyone's active involvement in the knowledge sharing.

1657850763675.png

This is a 1970 carb, but the linkage is the same (how throttle cable attaches if different on 73):

i-qzkR2St-L.jpg

The one on the top that is disconnected is yours is the choke breaker, not the secondary. Secondary is the one at the bottom on the throttle body.

I can't tell from your picture, but it looks like there's some weirdness with how things are connected. Can you post more pics showing the whole thing from a couple of angles?

It looks like there is a C-clip groove on the end of the shaft. Is it possible the linkage simply is inserted into the slot and is prevented from coming out by a C-clip?

It looks like there is a C-clip groove on the end of the shaft. Is it possible the linkage simply is inserted into the slot and is prevented from coming out by a C-clip?
Sort of, there's usually a little washer and a pin that holds them in place. You can see them in the pic above if you zoom in.

Last edited:
I'm going to change my username to dumb questions until I sort through the whack-a-mole game I'm playing. I assume from some other pics that this rod needs to be attached around where I have the red arrow. Mine isn't connected - simply dangling free.
  1. Do I need a little washer & cotter pin like the one right behind it?
  2. Can someone dumb this down for me? My guess is that as I increase throttle that rod should move and thus swivel the piece it should be connected to ... possibly opening or closing the secondary valve?
1973 original F and I think the carb is dated Jan 1972. Truck runs great until 40 mph and / or hard throttle and then hesitates. if I keep pushing I get a backfire out of the exhaust. I thought I had knocked this down a few weeks ago but it's back, and I wonder if this rod got disconnected between then and now.

Lastly, I have a vac adv distributor from SOR but realized this carb doesn't have an vacuum port. Am I OK capping the port on the dizzy or should I find a different mech adv dizzy?

As always, much appreciated! I'm always impressed with everyone's active involvement in the knowledge sharing.

View attachment 3059340

YES ,

u need a micro washer on the rod side , and a cotter mini hair pin key on the other side along with a 2nd mico washer

want to say there 4mm washers , but caliper the rod top be 100% sure

use BRASS or stainless steel only here

NO mild carbon based steel that will rust / or zinc plated crap here either !

i like brass personably its soft and forgiving

- here you are set up for success :cool:

21100-60205-R_01 - Copy.jpg
21100-60205-R_02 - Copy.jpg
21100-60205-R_03 - Copy.jpg

This is a 1970 carb, but the linkage is the same (how throttle cable attaches if different on 73):

i-qzkR2St-L.jpg

The one on the top that is disconnected is yours is the choke breaker, not the secondary. Secondary is the one at the bottom on the throttle body.

I can't tell from your picture, ybut it looks like there's some weirdness with how things are connected. Can you post more pics showing the whole thing from a couple of angles?
Thanks - From what I can tell my vacuum rod isn’t connected to anything that would move the secondary. Throttle allows the secondary to open but the spring keeps that shut. I can’t see any linkage on my carb that would open that up. Looking at pinheads YouTube - different carb but I am definitely missing a connection point that would rotate/open the secondary.

Hard to explain but I’ll pull the carb, take some pics and compare to what I find online.

YES ,

u need a micro washer on the rod side , and a cotter mini hair pin key on the other side along with a 2nd mico washer

want to say there 4mm washers , but caliper the rod top be 100% sure

use BRASS or stainless steel only here

NO mild carbon based steel that will rust / or zinc plated crap here either !

i like brass personably its soft and forgiving

- here you are set
Thanks - I’ll track down these parts. Maybe my last post wasn’t right. Looking at your bottom pic - can you elaborate

Thanks - these pics help a ton. I'm going to pull mine today and compare.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom