Missing bolts? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I was crawling up until my cruiser today and it looks like im missing 2 of the bolts that hold the gearbox to the bellhousing on my FJ60. It’s been like that for years but I suppose that I need bolts here. Would anyone have a couple of these bolts I could buy ?

E2808245-9212-4567-B001-AAB87F4760D9.jpeg

Last edited:
Do my eyes deceive me or does the lower one in fact appear to be broken off in the hole?

Do my eyes deceive me or does the lower one in fact appear to be broken off in the hole?
Good eye… im not sure myself, I will have to get back under and investigate, tomorrow.

A disaster in the making.

I “think” those are M10x1.25 but don’t hold me to it. Don’t recall the length.
If both of them aren’t broken off (@duncanrm has eagle eyes) then you could get a few different lengths of the M10 bolt at your hardware store and see what fits.

If they are broken bolts - a transmission jack purchase is in order.

The bolts are almost certainly the same spec as H55F/2H.. E on this diagram I created.. Part number and bolt spec..

1666565118208.png

Yea, those hold the transmission to the bell housing. I'd get that fixed ASAP.
✌️ :beer:

Does anyone know if these bolts should have flat washers or lock washers under them?

The correct OEM bolt has a integrated lock washer and a 17mm head so you will actually be able to put a socket or wrench on it. Call your local Toyota dealership and order 91619-61240 for about $2.50 each. They will have them the next day.

Thanks guys, I have ordered the proper bolts and will be getting this done soon. I wanted to ask anyone who might know... im wondering what scenario would allow these bolts to not be in place. If I was dropping the tranny to install a new clutch disk, I would remove the bell housing to motor bolts. The bolts I am missing are gearbox to bell housing, So im assuming at some point somebody dropped the gearbox, leaving bell housing and clutch assembled, presumably to do some work or replace the gearbox? Anyhow its sloppy mechanic-ing.

Not on a 2F you wouldn't be.
Matt-
Ive done clutches on sports cars but not on a FJ60. I guess in a cruiser, you would drop the gearbox/ transfer case, then remove bell housing to get at the clutch? Im trying to surmise if my clutch has been replaced or not by the fact that I have these 2 missing bolts.

Matt-
Ive done clutches on sports cars but not on a FJ60. I guess in a cruiser, you would drop the gearbox/ transfer case, then remove bell housing to get at the clutch? Im trying to surmise if my clutch has been replaced or not by the fact that I have these 2 missing bolts.

It's not unreasonable to guess that.
It's just that the flywheel comes off before the bellhousing (There are two bellhousing bolts under the flywheel).

If you remove the lower bellhousing inspection cover, you can have someone press on the clutch and you will be able to see the clutch disc condition. It's a 35-42 year old vehicle so no assumptions any more.

I would consider using something to clean the threads out before you try and screw your new bolts in there. maybe some kind of a tap. And it probably wouldn't hurt to put anti-seize on the bolt threads.

I find that a long extension that will reach over the transfer case and transmission is helpful for some of those bolts.

good luck

Thanks guys, I have ordered the proper bolts and will be getting this done soon. I wanted to ask anyone who might know... im wondering what scenario would allow these bolts to not be in place. If I was dropping the tranny to install a new clutch disk, I would remove the bell housing to motor bolts. The bolts I am missing are gearbox to bell housing, So im assuming at some point somebody dropped the gearbox, leaving bell housing and clutch assembled, presumably to do some work or replace the gearbox? Anyhow its sloppy mechanic-ing.

Possible scenario - the clutch was changed and those two bolts were only finger tightened, and properly torquing the bolts was overlooked. Road and engine vibration loosened the bolts and they dropped off.

did you ever check the 2 bolts on the other side?

Yes I did check the other side, both bolts are there. This truck has been running for years like that with 2 missing bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom