Missing bolt on my thing-a-ma-jigger (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found the source of one of my leaks...I'm missing a bolt. I'm not sure what you call it, but it's missing from the "oil pan looking thingy" that sits behind the oil pan. I couldn't figure out what it was in my Chilton's. The only thing remotely close is mention of oil pan #2 under the DOHC engine section, but mine's just the 2F.

Anyway, what is that called? What size bolt do I need and what's the torque spec on it? I'd like to go grab a bolt and snug it up ASAP.

I really need to order service manuals...

Sounds like your flywheel inspection cover.

This cover holds no fluid. If fluid is coming out it is likely a bad rear main seal leaking inside of the cover and then through the bolt hole.

You'll find something like this inside

DSC00588.jpg

Pics...

Hmm...not sure if that's the right spot or not. I took some pictures of the "thing-a-ma-jig" in question and a shot where the bolt is missing just for fun...

Didn't notice it had a X stamped into it until I saw the pics...

So, what is it, what size bolts & what's the torque spec?

The picture I posted is with the flywheel inspection cover off.

Yeah that's your flywheel inspection cover. Bolt torque is snug. Doesn't really matter if one is missing because it holds no fluid. Just a shield to protect your flywheel.

Take that cover off to see what is actually leaking, and take a bolt to your parts store and use the little bolt matcher to buy another. Probably something like an M10x1.5 <--- just a guess

on yota's if a 10 mm takes it off its m6x1.0 a 12mm head is m8x1.25 and 14mm head is m10x1.5 in most situations (driveshaft bolts are diff because they are fine pitch)

on yota's if a 10 mm takes it off its m6x1.0 a 12mm head is m8x1.25 and 14mm head is m10x1.5 in most situations (driveshaft bolts are diff because they are fine pitch)

Good to know thanks!

if its leaking through that bolt hole....most likely rear main seal leaking into inspection cover and oil taking the easiest way out....through your missing bolt.

I also had gear oil collecting in that inspection cover that was a bad seal out of the tranny input shaft - smell the oil to see if it is gear oil (i.e. from the tranny) or motor oil (i.e. from the rear main)

My $0.02...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom