Missed 90k service, safe to drive now at 108k miles? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got my eye on a 2004 LX470 with 108k miles. 1 owner all service records. Problem is service seems to have completely stopped right at like 87k miles. So I have no idea what went on from 87k till 108k. Still titled to the same owner but for whatever reason no records.

My concern is the truck is about 700 miles from me. I will actually be in that area for business next week and can have a PPI done at local Toyota (no lexus dealer anywhere near this city).

I have to assume it has original timing belt. You guys think it's a huge risk to drive it 700 miles with questionable timing belt? Is there a way to get a peek at the TB without being vary invasive? The PPI the toyota dealer does is free but he said they put it on a lift and check everything out (fluids, look for leaks, will test AHC etc...). Wondering if they could visually asses the TB then?

Or do I just suck it up and drive 700 miles and have it replaced when I get back home?

In all likelihood you're probably good until 180K on that belt. I wouldn't bat an eye at pulling a 700 mile trip at 108k.

Just because there are no records doesn't mean it wasn't maintained. Every vehicle I've ever had would have zero service records and would be the best maintained vehicle you'll ever find. There should be a sticker on the DS timing belt cover if it was done.

Thanks for the feedback. I did ask the dealer to look for the sticker and am awaiting their reply. I've seen several pics about the TB being like new even at 90k but none the less it's still of minor concern to me.

You can ask the dealer to remove the bank 2 timing cover and look at the condition of the belt if you are that worried.

Be aware that the dealer will tell you "it's over 90K and must be done", there is no way a dealer will risk the responsibility of telling you that overdue work is OK and incur the liability. Plus, they want the money. But you'll be fine. Do it as soon as it is convenient for you.

I bought my truck with 300k on it. The origianal owner change the first belt at 110k. I changed the second belt at 305k.

Just remember that the dealer is only recommending it to you since it is recommended by toyota/lexus not because they just want your money...

Be aware that the dealer will tell you "it's over 90K and must be done", there is no way a dealer will risk the responsibility of telling you that overdue work is OK and incur the liability. Plus, they want the money. But you'll be fine. Do it as soon as it is convenient for you.

i ran my 4runner up to 120k before i changed the timing belt. dont recommend it. was always driving on thin ice thinking when it will fail. when you are poor college student.

More profit in service and parts than car sales. Just know what you need now and what you can wait for without a safety issue. Service advisors or mechanics can shoot straight with you or scare you into parking it.

I have found both types at the same dealership.

excellent feedback guys. making me feel much better. Waiting on some under carriage pix and maybe this LX will turn into a reality for me. Starting to get nervous about actually pulling the trigger though!

Since its a Lexus you can check past history records on Lexus.com with the VIN assuming the previous owner brought it to the dealership for work. For piece of mind, I bought my lx470 w 125k and when I did the timing belt at 135k the belt still appeared fine w/o any fraying or cracking.

I wouldn't give a 108k mile TB a second thought. I bought a 100 a couple of years ago, and even though the PO said the TB had been changed, I discovered it hadn't. That means the first change was at 170k, and the belt, bearings, etc. were in fine shape. Plus, if you agree with the observations in the following thread, if the TB were to break, it would just be a matter of installing a new one: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/broken-timing-belt-confirmed.778650/

I agree with others that you should have zero worries about an original TB at 108K. Plus, even if bad luck is on your side, all evidence here points to this being a non-interference motor.

Chiming in - i picked up a 99 LC with 237k that previous owner had been told by some two-bit mechanic that it had a chain drive belt system that never needed changing. Swapped it out myself after driving it home 300 miles. Honestly, condition was such it was probably good for another 200k but now it's done and I don't have to think twice about.

I'm sure you'll discover for yourself but when you do the timing belt you do the water pump also. Not because worried about failure, but since you're already that far in to disassembled might as well do the extra $150 or so in parts and finish the job.

Good luck on the purchase - with 108k truck is barely broken in!

Excellent feed back guys! I'm still on the fence about this rig. Waiting on seller to send some under body pix and then we'll see how it goes. Based on all your feedback though I won't be worried at all if I need to drive it home.

I've got my eye on a 2004 LX470 with 108k miles. 1 owner all service records. Problem is service seems to have completely stopped right at like 87k miles. So I have no idea what went on from 87k till 108k. Still titled to the same owner but for whatever reason no records.

My concern is the truck is about 700 miles from me. I will actually be in that area for business next week and can have a PPI done at local Toyota (no lexus dealer anywhere near this city).

I have to assume it has original timing belt. You guys think it's a huge risk to drive it 700 miles with questionable timing belt? Is there a way to get a peek at the TB without being vary invasive? The PPI the toyota dealer does is free but he said they put it on a lift and check everything out (fluids, look for leaks, will test AHC etc...). Wondering if they could visually asses the TB then?

Or do I just suck it up and drive 700 miles and have it replaced when I get back home?
ya you will get home on the original timing belt 90K is recommended , but in reality 120K

Make the buy decision on other things. The TB in my '04 was just broken in at 90,000. It looked pretty much like the new belt.

134k when mine '99 was changed - so wouldn't expect it to be too much of a concern. (knock on wood).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom