Misfiring at the start (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,
Should I attribute this to different gas (filled up at particular gas station for first time) and wait for gas to be used or should I check anything more?

Symptoms:
Car would misfire / shake at start for maybe 2 minutes and then start running smoothly.

Year of vehicle? Maintenance done prior to the misfire?

It could be any number of things. My experience:

Has it gotten worse? Any white smoke accompanying? This happened to my ‘94. Initially a barely noticeable rough idle at start up. Then it became a miss/roughness at temp. Then one day after I got gas it started hard and was pouring white smoke out. I immediately shut it down and had it towed to a mechanic. It sounded like it had started leaking slightly, then completely gave way. I’m glad I wasn’t going at highway speeds, I worry it could’ve done some damage.

Last edited:
Reactions: KTP
Year of vehicle? Maintenance done prior to the misfire?
1997 LX 450, about time for oil change (nothing mechanical in recent time). Replaced speaker but I'm assuming it doesn't matter?

It could be any number of things. My experience:

Has it gotten worse? Any white smoke accompanying? This happened to my ‘94. Initially a barely noticeable rough idle at start up. Then it became a miss/roughness at temp. Then one day after I got gas it started hard and was pouring white smoke out. I immediately shut it down and had it towed to a mechanic. It sounded like it had started leaking slightly, then completely gave way. I’m glad I was going at highway speeds, I worry it could’ve done some damage.
Just started a day ago and only at start.
I see P300 and P306 (6th cylinder misfiring).
Haven't noticed white smoke yet, will check closely today.

Just started a day ago and only at start.
I see P300 and P306 (6th cylinder misfiring).
Haven't noticed white smoke yet, will check closely today.
Possible coolant or fuel leak in that cylinder (#6). Do a leak down test with radiator cap off when cold and check also fuel pressure drop if you can get a gauge set.

OK, don't panic. I had this last year on number 4 and it was just a bad ignition wire.

And haven't seen misfiring in last 2/3 days.
I will schedule a mechanic visit just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom