1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mirror Part Question (mechanism)

Discussion in '80-Series Tech' started by Boston Mangler, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Boston Mangler

Boston Mangler

I had a loose pass side mirror (glass was vibrating bad) and when i did the fix on slees site, it didnt help. I pull the screw on the bottom of the mirror and the female end receptcal that is on the glass portion was broken and can no longer be tightened.

I looked on the www.sor.com website (nice breakdowns) and it appears that the mirror is available in 2 different parts, one as a whole unit and one that says "Glass Only". i was wondering if anyone has any experience with this and if the "Glass Only" option also has the mounting screw hole.

Anyone? Cdan? :D

2. cruiserdan

cruiserdan SupportingVendor Emeritus Moderator

Land Cruiser Heritage Museum broom closet
    "Glass only" is just that, a piece of glass. NO plastic bits at all. The factory repair is a new mirror assembly. Many folks have sucessfully glued the head back in with sillicone or doubble-face emblem tape. I repaired mine with the latter, as a temporary repair, about 5 years ago and it hasn't fallen back out yet.

3. Boston Mangler

Boston Mangler

Thanks Dan

I am going try some epoxy and see what happens

Here some VERY poor pics of what is broken. It looks as if someone overtightened it and the plastic female threads split.

I just gooped it up with epoxy and ziptied it shut, hopefully this holds:

EDIT: After closer look, the hole for the screw is very enlarged and stripped! Time for a new mirror!

[​IMG]

and

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2005
  4. nanuk

nanuk

Media:
    Albums:
    I have fixed the piece you show broken with some success. The botom portion where the screw goes I used some kind of epoxy super glue just for plastic on the broken portion then several layers of JB Weld around the outside.

Also repaired the "ears" in the same fashion. Used a paper clip, drilled small holes in the broken portions, put the L shaped bent piece of paper clip in the holes, then JB Welded all around it.

It might not be as strong as original, but it has held up well on the 3 or 4 I have done it on.