Mirror head questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a set of aftermarket door mirrors - they work ok but the glass quality is crap and pretty distorted . Were the stock mirror heads for a '77 flat glass or did one or both have convex lenses ? I absolutely hate convex mirrors on the passenger side of a vehicle , makes them worthless to me .
Sarge

I put new OEMs on about 6 months ago, and they are flat. I tried the aftermarket ones first, and the plastic cracked on both of them, so I sprung for the OEM. Cruiser Corps did me right by taking back the aftermarkets.

Yes. Both are flat from Toyota, not convex.

So , just to be crystal clear - both driver's and passenger side heads for door-mounted mirrors are flat glass ?
If that's the case , I'm about to be one happy old Irishman .... I hate those (*(^&&^*&&^% convex mirrors !
Sarge

I have convex mirrors on both sides and no blind spots like you get with flat glass. Personally, I would never go back to flat glass mirrors on an FJ40 because of the blind spots.

I put J**p Dangler mirrors on mine and love them-no vibration or distortion and great coverage with my supplemental fish eye mirrors.
View from the screen.jpg

Last edited:
Chamba, did those mount to your door hinge?

I used one factory hole for the mirror dilled one hole under where the factory mirror mounts and then just a faux screw in the other hole (there are three). That way if I ever put factory mirrors back on it will appear completely original.

And then left the factory hole in front with the original screw.
ForumRunner_20130817_150132.jpg

I have convex mirrors on both sides and no blind spots like you get with flat glass. Personally, I would never go back to flat glass mirrors on an FJ40 because of the blind spots.

X2 on both convex. Mine are stainless steel, from a truck shop. They've stood up to almost 20 years of tree bashing. I figured I'd replace them with flat when they broke... It's just never happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom