Mirror Dilemma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So....as I anxiously await for the big ticket items to be completed on my Cruiser, I'm trying to button up the details and small projects that I've planned over the last few years.

Initially, I planned on splurging on new mirrors for the old girl, since the original FJ62-style chrome ones (OEM Murakami mirrors), which I painted black some years back, are worn out, wobbly, and in the driver's side case, cracked. However, as the scope of my project expanded, I am devoting whatever funds I have to the mechanical improvements/modification, and it's hard to justify new mirrors. I dreamed of getting OEM Murakami *black ones* from G&S, then figured I'd compromise with some of the *Aussie* type from MAF, but now I'm back to square one.

Then, while flipping through my Land Cruiser picture archives, I remembered that I have a pair of fender mounted *"owing-style" mirrors (JDM-spec), also OEM Murakami, that I got a few years back and never used (see attached pictures). Needless to say, mounting them on the fenders are out of the question, I need mirrors that I can actually SEE, but then I had an idea and I wanted to run it by the group.

Do you think I could combine the arm and head of the "towing" mirrors with the base of the OEM FJ62 ones? I don't have the FJ62 mirrors handy so I can't tell, but it might work, and with some steel wool and a can of satin black I could have a nice set of OEM (well, sorta) mirrors that actually work.

What do you think? Anyone have a crapped out FJ62 mirror that they're not using? All I need is the base, I want to test my theory.

Thanks in advance!!
Japanese 60 series towing mirrors 1.jpg
mingo_mingo2-img600x450-1035705285pa250069.jpg

Henry,

You never cease to amaze me....you can come up with the most amazing ideas and turn them into a short story....Sitting here where it is safe I will just say...buy whatever mirrors you want and be done with it alrready....Isn't that what you told me when I was looking for a cheap second battery tray??? You told me to just pony up the money for the SS one....again I am just screwin with you....I have so any small projects to do with my 60 but getting it drivable takes center stage right now....

I say find a pair of used FJ62 mirrors here or on eBay. Expect to pay $50-75 for them. Mount those, and be happy.

Then, put your towing-style JDM electric mirrors on eBay and be even happier. ;)

These mirrors don't have much market, installing them means cutting big holes into both fenders and sealing up the holes on the doors, not to mention modifying the wire harness (these are powered!).

And Tim, you're right, I should take my own advise, I just spend way too much time thinking (obsessing) about these things!

I'll try to find a base from someone and see if my idea works before I get rid of the mirrors...

The bottoms of those mirrors don't bear much resemblance to the bottoms of my FJ62 mirrors (which have a cutout at the bottom), but that's not to say that some creativity couldn't get them to work with a new base... Good luck, and post pics!

Hi there,

I'm searching for these mirrors (60 series JDM electric fender mirrors) and can't find them anywhere. Do you still have yours? Thanks!

I have some mirror bases I will gladly sell you. Which one do you need? L or R or both. The drivers mirror has cracked mirror glass, but sounds like your not interested in the glass.
Let me know. Send me a PM. I will ship it today.
Thanks

Hi there,

I need JDM electric fender mirrors like the 8510 below, both L&R, and the whole assembly (glass, base and everything else):

791120_8701_0002.png

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom