Mirror conversion - going from the doors to the windshield hinge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 78 40 restoration project that is getting to the final stages. The glass in the mirrors must have gotten broken when it was sitting, and it was replaced with plastic mirror lenses. They are terrible, so I have to do something. I was going to either replace the glass or order new mirror heads, but I then started thinking of going with something on the hinge for when the doors come off. Now that you have the back story, here are the 2 questions:

1 - Whose kit is the best?
2 - What do you put in place of the mirror arms where the gasket/mount holes are when you take the arms off of your doors (since you don't need 2 sets of mirrors)?

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 i can't see s*** from my passenger side mirror on the windshield - i can't recommend them

2. Most people just put bolts in or weld the holes

1. I CAN see **** from my passenger side, but it took a lot of trial and error before I got it right. Got mine from CCOT. Don't know if they're the best, but they're good enough for me.
2. I filled my holes with Phillips head machine screws. If I get around to painting my tailgate someday, I'll probably do the screws too.

Makes a lot of sense. Thanks guys!

Along the same lines. I've heard of guys using hinge pin mounted mirrors also. When the doors come off, the hinge pin mirrors go into the hinges. Is anyone using those?

1. I CAN see **** from my passenger side, but it took a lot of trial and error before I got it right. Got mine from CCOT. Don't know if they're the best, but they're good enough for me.
2. I filled my holes with Phillips head machine screws. If I get around to painting my tailgate someday, I'll probably do the screws too.
This! It's a two person job to get them properly adjusted to where your door won't hit the mirror AND you can see. Once properly adjusted though, they're good to go. Just takes time. Especially if you're solo trying to get them adjusted. I had my 9 year old daughter sitting on a ball in the driver's seat to get her sitting height near mine while I adjusted the mirror and she told me what she could see! Not ideal.

PO put heep CJ mirrors on mine, this is the only PO mod I have not undone. They are drilled, tapped and bolted to the upper part of the wind shield hinge. Not OEM but works well and they fold out of the way when needed on the trail or for storage. I ended up ditching the ugly square mirror heads and installed the correct round cruiser mirrors on the arms a few years back. Doors or no doors, I can still see behind me. Good luck! :cool:

Hi all,

Be prepared for the wind shield frame hinge screws being frozen/rusted in place.

Buy the proper size (large) Phillips head screw driver. Soak the screws with a good penetrating oil like AeroKroil.
You will likely need to to replace these screws after removing them from the wind shield frame (due to chewed-up Phillips heads.)

When installing the replacement wind shield frame screws, be sure to coat them in anti-seize.

Good luck,

Alan

There are stock rectangular and stock round heads for the stock windshield-attached arms.

Buy OEM and don't look back. They can be mounted on the cowl next to the windshield or on the windshield hinges. Swap full doors, half doors, no doors, you can still see.

The key is that the passenger side mirror is visible through the right edge of the windshield. If you're trying to adjust them to see through the door glass you're in for a serious disappointment.

Great info guys. Thank you for all the help!

87901-90301 small round head mirror
87901-60011 rectangular mirror head
87901-55011 rectangular mirror head
87901-60020 small round head mirror
87902-60030 windshield mount arm

For full disclosure (and correct information) my FJ40 has the mirror arms mounted to the windshield hinges and the passenger side mirror is visible through the windshield.

My FJ45 has the mirror arm mounted to the side cowl as was standard for 1965 and the mirror head is viewed through the bug catcher part of the door glass.

image.jpg Mine work fine

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom