Minor setback on drivetrain swap. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Doing 5.3 vortec with 4l60e trans and had the trans rebuilt to basically a race spec tranny minus servos to prevent hard shifting. However when I fired it up this weekend the tranny did not really shift into any gear. I jacked up the rear end and when put in reverse still wants to go forward in neutral and drive it goes forward but I can grab the driveshaft and stop it by hand. Checked for output to cooler and only get about a 1/4 quart in a min. Called my tranny guy and he is headed out here on Tue. Just wondering what you tranny guys know or if anyone has seen this before.

yea, something is majorly wrong.

I know very little about transmissions but you might not want to run it much more if it's not pumping fluid; I don't think it takes much to burn'em up.

The only way to check fluid is running in park. Unless its running in park its going to show full when its a few quarts low and wont do anything. Other than that its probably going to be something fairly serious.

Yea thinking I might have cracked the pump when I was putting it in.

Well, found my issue. When I put the torque converter in I didn't pay attention and cracked the ears off the pump where the torque converter meets it. Was able to look inside the seal and see both ears gone and a chunk lodged in the seal where the pump is. So back to the tranny guy for more upgrades.

Couple pics of the damage got her back together this morning and hopefully get the exhaust welded up and ready for a test drive by next weekend.
100_2079.jpg
100_2080.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom