Minor carbon fiber repair = epoxy OK? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Crashed the road bike yesterday and in the carbon tube is a metal threaded grommet whose function is to hold the water bottle cage on. It got pulled most of the way out of the tube. I'm planning to pull it the rest of the way out, clean and reinstall with some quality epoxy. Anyone know if I need to worry about compatibility with type of epoxy, etc? For all it's "woo woo" factor, carbon fiber is merely fiberglass with a different base cloth so I'm thinking it is not rocket science. Correct?

Thanks,

DougM

Doug, the grommet you mention, is usually replaceable. Some bike shops have a simple tool that allows a new 2pc grommet to be installed, kind of like a pop rivet with internal threads....OR

Found this:
Park Tool Website

If you use epoxy (instead of say, polyester resin) make sure you paint over it with UV resistant paint.

I would use West Systems or some other high quality epoxy. It should be available at any boat supply store.

x2 on west systems.

If this is all you are repairing, then great. If you think the frame is compromised, epoxy will not help it. When Carbon Fiber goes, it goes in a big way.

Hey, some great suggestions. Not too surprising, since the talent runs both deep and wide around here - that's why I posted here.

I'm on it. Got a bent rear derailleur too, it looks like. To the shop for that as they can bend the hanger back with a tool

DougM

Hey, some great suggestions. Not too surprising, since the talent runs both deep and wide around here - that's why I posted here.

I'm on it. Got a bent rear derailleur too, it looks like. To the shop for that as they can bend the hanger back with a tool

DougM

If your CF frame happens to be a TREK 5000 series...the rear derailler hanger is replaceable.

:confused: Right now I have duct tape, electrical tape, and zip-ties holding various components of my daily ride together. Maybe I was adopted? :D

See, if it was an indestructible hilux, duct tape would be fine...

DougM

Easily can be done. I bent my rear derailuer last Tuesday from when I went down on a group ride. Brought it to the shop, whipped out the tool, I straightened that guy out, and good as new. One banana job. :banana:

If it were a genuine, indestructible HiLux- it wouldn't need duct tape.

Easily can be done. I bent my rear derailuer last Tuesday from when I went down on a group ride. Brought it to the shop, whipped out the tool, I straightened that guy out, and good as new. One banana job. :banana:

The joke potential is strong with this one. Very strong.

Yeah, keeping the bike upright is the best solution of all. Not always possible when the guy behind you rams you in a turn and then falls on top of you. He's a buddy or there would have been some sharp words over it. IronYup - you got a good laugh out of me.

Derailleur hanger was bent a bit and it's a Specialized so quick straighten and it's also replaceable. Shifts fine and now gotta get the epoxy. Since I need literally about the quantity of a pea I'm hoping West System sells some in small quantities or I'll be at the local marina begging a cup...

DougM

Is there a possibility that the frame may be covered under warranty, even if there is a possibility of having to pay a crash replacement. I can pretty much guarantee that as soon as you add epoxy to the frame you will void any potential of ever replacing the frame if it does fail. Specialized is a pretty good company and generally stands behind their product. If the shop you use has a good relationship with the rep you may just get lucky. Plus I would hate to see that downtube fold on you going 45mph.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom