Minor bump...goodbye sound from speakers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So...as the title says, I hit a (what I assumed to be very minor) bump on the highway and suddenly have no sound (no buzzing, crackling, absolutely nothing) coming from any of my speakers. The head unit still has full power, as does the cigarette adapter power. So before I just make a guess of it (amp?) figured I'd see if anyone has any troubleshooting ideas for me. Fuse?

-Double din Boss aftermarket head unit
-Everything else (speakers, amp) I'm fairly certain is stock
-Everything that looks like it should connected to the head unit, still is
-I tried radio, bluetooth, DVD...all no sound so just so we're sure, doesn't appear to the head unit
-No it's not on mute
-No I didn't suddenly become deaf

I'm not hugely stereo wiring inclined but open to upgrading.

Unfortunately, nothing has brought sound back. Granted I haven't tried the "go through a mountain pass to jiggle everything back into place" method

Have you tried just in connecting and reconnecting the connections at the amp? From there I would start with the basics at the amp… with a multimeter, do you have power. Do you have ground. Do you have a turn-on signal from head unit…. Check all at the amplifier.

Have you tried just in connecting and reconnecting the connections at the amp? From there I would start with the basics at the amp… with a multimeter, do you have power. Do you have ground. Do you have a turn-on signal from head unit…. Check all at the amplifier.
I'll check that... Went I disconnected and reconnected the battery speaked came back to life. Suppose its time to look into doing a mass upgrade

Unfortunately, nothing has brought sound back. Granted I haven't tried the "go through a mountain pass to jiggle everything back into place" method

Your post wasn't clear if it was intermittent or not, so looking for more info if possible. Good luck with it.

Your post wasn't clear if it was intermittent or not, so looking for more info if possible. Good luck with it.
At the time of posting... it was just off. Not off and on. Just off. So, as such, I just said there was no sound.

Now...after disconnecting/reconnecting the battery it came back on. Drove for a couple hours today and it randomly shut off again. So now...I would say it is situationally intermittent.

Maybe something I'm learning from my experiences this summer will help (2004 UZJ100 with nav).

In May, I kept blowing a fuse for the radio. I brought it into my mechanic and he found a wire that was loose and causing a short. It was a blue-yellow wire that ran into a 3x4 (I think) molex connector under the cowling on the PS footwell.

If I were you, I'd remove that cowling and take a look at those molex connectors to see if any wires have popped off their pin.

(Note that my blue-yellow wire caused the radio to die, so I don't think that particular wire is your culprit. FWIW, note that when I directly reconnected that blue-yellow wire with its mate on the other side of the molex, avoiding the molex, my radio came back to life by my front speakers remain silent.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom