Minor body rust on tailgate (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've searched the forums and have found a few threads about mitigating rust, but most are more significant than what I have. I've also found a video of a similar fix using POR-15 where they ground the rust out and "painted" with POR. This picture shows the only rust I've found. I'm hopeful this is the only issue I have, but I continually look for it... Thanks
PXL_20220513_214221004.MP.jpg

That’s rusting from the inside. Best bet is to scrape as much as you can reach, primer and spot paint and fluid film the crap out of that spot once the paint cures. Might not be a permanent solution but will definitely buy you some time.

Follow the seam where the outside skin is crimped to the inside skin- that is the area beneath (not under) the Landcruiser emblem. It’s that seam/drip edge under the hatch will present some corrosion on mid states and northern trucks (salty environment)

Scrape the loose flaky rust out, treat with POR or similar metal prep and then POR15 paint the rust. FYI if you wire wheel to the point of polishing the metal- POR15 won’t adhere as well needs some crust to stick to (POR paint over rust) use something else if down to shiny bare metal

I’ve read that a lot of that starts due to a faulty/leaking 3rd brake light gasket. I pulled mine out and threw RTV silicone behind it and across the upper facing seam. My gasket was trashed on the upper portion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom