Minimum 80 series Tool Kit? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Chuy

07' GX470
Threads
Juts curious what kind of tool kit most members carry for a solo day or multi day trip, if any at all?

This is just a tool list not including recovery equipment like straps, chains, jacks, tire plug, air compressor, etc.

My tool kit right now is pretty ridiculous in size and weight. It takes up nearly one entire rear drawer. I was use to carrying a variety of different tools when I owned a Jeep, so I have held on to old habits.

The only thing I have ever really needed since I have had my cruiser is a couple of different size crescent wrenches and a small and large universal screw driver.

"Knocking on wood very hard."

Are the OEM style kits enough to get you by in a pinch?

What would be the perfect minimum or minimalist trail tool kit for an 80 that has been kept up?

$(KGrHqNHJFIFDrElcLp3BQ630Tr3jQ~~60_57.jpg

$T2eC16RHJG8FGslcqqMyBRtUK0Mr6w~~60_12.JPG

7420041230_233188b588.jpg

Good topic Chuy

I realized about 12 months ago that I have carried about 50 pounds of "breakdown gear" for many years that I never had to use. It was heavy and took up considerable space. I unloaded and I stay very minimal in town or on group runs. I also take into consideration that I am very proactive about keeping up on both preventative maintenance and repairs so my chances for potential breakdowns are attempted to be kept at a minimum.

although...when I go on a any solo trips I bring WAY more than probably necessary just in case.

In looking at your pictures of your tool kits, it looks rather complete. I know you mentioned to focus on tools only but I would toss in the idea of bringing some sections of different diameter of coolant hose.

I carry way too much stuff in the 40, but I've helped several people with the stuff I carry - I have never weighed it all, but it is certainly more than 50 pounds - I don't have separate tool/spare boxes for the LX yet, but knowing me . . . :rolleyes:

The old style tool kit with the addition of a needle nose and vies grips, minus the grease gun would be pretty clues to minimal perfect in my opinion.

I just shaved off about 30~50lbs of tools from my kit today. I think I just have way to many sockets and wrenches. I also have the oddball sizes for the aftermarket components I have added. All that goes through my mind are those times that I needed an odd ball setup like a ratcheting wrench or off set box wrench.

Are these the only wrench sizes we really need 6,7,8,10,12,14,17,19?

The trick is to balance the tools and repair items you carry. One is not good without the other. With that said I carry what it takes to make me comfortable, read too much. With the hopes I never need any of it.

I limit myself to 2 Sawzall boxes:rolleyes: 1 for tools and one for repair parts, ~40lbs.

Should be based on probable failures that absolutely require a field fix, and can't wait to get home.

Soooooo... in all the years of CSC runs, what types of failures have occurred?

I know you asked for 80 series, but on the 100, front diff failures are not unheard of. Enough tools to remove drive flange and front driveshaft go with me, so snap ring pliers and brass drift in addition to the basics.

When was the third kit with the grease gun offered? I think I could put a few extra tools in there and call it good. I was annoyed yesterday at all my tools banging around in their very heavy metal tool box. I was on a very bumpy road and did not air down. I agree with others that I take a ton of extras when wheeling alone with the family. I always have premixed Toyota red with me as well. It takes up a ton of room and weight. In a pinch I guess I could use regular water and just flush it out when I got home. I would add duct tape, a few size hose clamps, safety wire and a Glock. :poof:

When was the third kit with the grease gun offered? I think I could put a few extra tools in there and call it good. I was annoyed yesterday at all my tools banging around in their very heavy metal tool box. I was on a very bumpy road and did not air down. I agree with others that I take a ton of extras when wheeling alone with the family. I always have premixed Toyota red with me as well. It takes up a ton of room and weight. In a pinch I guess I could use regular water and just flush it out when I got home. I would add duct tape, a few size hose clamps, safety wire and a Glock. :poof:

I think its a kit from a 40 series LC.

So far my trail repairs have been:

- Tightening loose battery cables

- Rear sway bar broken/mangled it was clanking around so I just removed

- Front knuckle studs loose and broke off I tightened the remaining ones

- Tightened loose compressor air hose when it was leaking

- One of the two drive belts broke when pulley seized, removed bad one and drove home on one

- Broken fusible link, replaced with spare

Things I'm expecting to go wrong on the trail:

- Broken or bent tie rod

- Broken or cracked brake line

- Broken drive belt

- Drive line failure or damage of some sort to CV's

- Starter failure

- Leaking coolant hose probably the PHH

First picture, is that replacement tools you bought? The molded plastic case were you able to get that also? I believe that was never offered for the US market. Early years we got a canvas tool roll while the JDM got a metal toll box. Only thing I see missing In those tolls is the angled screwdriver insert for the sunroof. Not sure how it works or if it would be needed if the sunroof was stuck open and needed to close it.

The grease gun ended in the early seventies when they switched to a pouch from the canvas roll. The one in the picture show screwdrivers with plastic handles Either that was around the last year of the tool roll or replacements. I have a couple toll rolls, newest from my 70 FJ40 and the handles are made of wood.

Never had the original tool roll from my 68 so made up my own tool kit I store under the seat. Besides tools I also carried jumper cables, bailing wire, electrical tape and duct tape for trail repairs. Now that also includes aluminum fold back tape. The FJ40 is much smaller than the 80 series. I used up more space for else recovery. I had a small hand band saw, highlift jack, shovel, axe, come-along, tow straps, chain, and forming stakes I could use as a anchor point. Everything fit in a wood crate I build except the Highlift jack. Winter time I carried snow chains for all four wheels.

First picture, is that replacement tools you bought? The molded plastic case were you able to get that also? I believe that was never offered for the US market. Early years we got a canvas tool roll while the JDM got a metal toll box. Only thing I see missing In those tolls is the angled screwdriver insert for the sunroof. Not sure how it works or if it would be needed if the sunroof was stuck open and needed to close it.

I only own a kit similar to the first one. The plastic kit is supposedly from a 100 series and the canvas one is supposedly from a 40 series era LC. I came across those pictures when I was researching OEM tools kits that came with the LC's. I was reading about different tool kits carried on another forum when I came across the canvas tool roll kit. The discussion was that the old canvas tool roll was an excellent minimal tool kit and had just about everything to get you by in most situations for the 40 series LC.

From there I was searching if anyone had put together something similar for the 80 series. I know that the 80 series Land Crusier does not use every metric size socket and wrench for most jobs. Then I was wondering if I could get by without sockets all together if I really needed. I have a cheap set of ratcheting flex Head combination wrenches but I have used them a lot. They seem to be my go to wrench set for everything.

spin_prod_206860001.jpg

Don't believe the molded plastic case was available in the US market. We got a pouch because with a sub woofer that case wouldn't fit in the side by the jack.

For the ten years or so I been using the Gear Wrench flex head ratchet wrenches. Sears had them for sale on Black Friday years ago. I have SAE and Metric sets at my home here and home up north plus a third in my travel tool bag. Problably my most used tool. Rarely do I use my OEM tools for anything. For what complete old tool rolls have been selling for I don't even carry them in the vehicles but keep them in a secured location.

Bump for this thread :) I was wondering if during the past 5 years anything has come on the market as a good LC tool kit replacement? Mine got lost and am looking to pick something up to replace it with.

Been talking about tools in the 80 series Lcool forum lately. I have never seen a 'basic Toyota toolkit' for 80 series as mine didn't come with one. I'm trying to put together a minimum toolkit to carry every day since I no longer want to be carrying my whole workshop worth of tools (!) in the back.

Most of the factory tools might still be available if the part numbers are known. I was able to get a brand new factory screw jack a while back btw - amayama refused to supply one so I bought one through Partsouq instead.

That reminds me I need to get at least one of the 'jack adaptors' that one of the Mud members is making. ;)

Been talking about tools in the 80 series Lcool forum lately. I have never seen a 'basic Toyota toolkit' for 80 series as mine didn't come with one. I'm trying to put together a minimum toolkit to carry every day since I no longer want to be carrying my whole workshop worth of tools (!) in the back.

Most of the factory tools might still be available if the part numbers are known. I was able to get a brand new factory screw jack a while back btw - amayama refused to supply one so I bought one through Partsouq instead.

That reminds me I need to get at least one of the 'jack adaptors' that one of the Mud members is making. ;)

Hit me up for a Jack Adapter in Australia

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom