mini-turck power steering question - Hoses (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Romer

fatherofdaughterofromer
Threads
I got a used 84 Mini-truck Gear box and a reman Saginaw pump. Brackets from W. Dorry.

The Gear box cam with a High pressur line attached. I am assuming I have to add a fitting on one end to work with the Saginaw pump. Can I buy this at a parts store and do it myself, or do I need to take it somewhere? What size fitting?

What is the hose size for the return line/ JT rip off wants way to much money for what looks like a plane hose.

Thanks,

Ken

non-pressure side is just a plain hose.did your box come with the fitting that connects to it?should be 3/8" ID hose.thats what mine has on it.
i was gonna bring my box and pump down to THE PARKER STORE in commerce city and see if they can make something for me.should be like 30 bucks for the preesure hose.

I may not get to it till Thanksgiving. Just collecting everything now.

So, what size and type is the return hose. (3/8"?)

Romer, I was surprised to find that the same fitting that fit the high pressure port on the gearbox also fit my Saginaw pump. The return line however was a bastard size. Glad it came with the box.

Ed

Use an FJ60 high pressure line for the high pressure (doh)

Use 3/8" Power Steering low-pressure line. Napa has it in short lengths in a box, (i'll get # tomorrow) or you can buy custom lengths/ 50 ft boxes at some Napa's.

Fuel Hose is not really sufficient.

If you do not have a low pressure fitting on the gearbox, order one from Cdan.

take the reman pump back and get one for a 80's volvo application, it will have metric fitting. then you can choose between mintruck, 60 series or volvo high pressure hose to best suite your needs, its all about choices man.

RHINO said:
take the reman pump back and get one for a 80's volvo application, it will have metric fitting. then you can choose between mintruck, 60 series or volvo high pressure hose to best suite your needs, its all about choices man.

No such thing as a metric flare fitting... (in this case)

The FJ60 hose fits a standard Napa #20-6000 pump just fine.

Last edited:
huh,, well waddayaknow and here i went looking specifically for a volvo with saginaw pump when i did my power steering, sheesh.

Rhino, the "metric" stamped on the pump is only an indication of the thread size of the mounting holes, nothing else.
I got the Vulva press-on hub and pulley from a trashed pump and everything works just fine.
I had my hose made up with a couple of 90* fittings and it looks nice. $23.

JMO

Ed

Degnol said:
Romer, I was surprised to find that the same fitting that fit the high pressure port on the gearbox also fit my Saginaw pump. The return line however was a bastard size. Glad it came with the box.

Ed

The high pressure line came with the box. I did not get a return line, but the nipple is there. I'll take the piece of hose off the nipple and take it in and match it.

I tried the other end of the High Pressure on the Saginaw pum and it looks like it might work if I torque it down. I'll look closer this weekend. I don't want to break anything and if I can't get it to hand thread part of the way, I'll take it somewhere.

So. I bought the Saginaw pump from Rockauto.com
the gearbox from an 84 4runner from a Junk Yard
The brackets from Bill Dorry
And the smaller pully and bushing from Orion Manufacturing.

Bill recommended a smaller pulley to get higher RPMs on the pump.

Right now I am sitting at about $400 in parts and all I need is the hose. Probably about $10. Probably could have gotten the gear box a little cheaper if I would have looked around more. I bought it from the Yota yard who is a supporter of Cruise Moab and of Rising Sun. It was $135 and they pulled it for me. Course it came with the High Pressure Line, Cooler and nipple. Which at JT Outfitters would have been another $130, so I feel good about it.

I am assuming the coiled tube is a cooler. Can anyone confirm that for me.

The only open question is the fitting on my existing High Pressure line and I will work that this weekend to see if it will work or needs to be changed out.
PS 001.jpg
PS 002.jpg
PS 003.jpg

Yes that coiled line is the " cooler " :)

Looks good Ken!

-Steve

Poser said:
Yes that coiled line is the " cooler " :)

Looks good Ken!

-Steve

Thanks Steve. Hopefully, one of these days I'll be able to pull off the fender and make the modification.

Ken

Have yourself a GOOD pitman arm puller yet?

Poser said:
Have yourself a GOOD pitman arm puller yet?

No. I am assuming by your question I need one. Probably can find one at Harbor Freight.

I need to read the links on install. I just searched to collect the parts so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom