mini truck

Discussion in 'KS/MO- Tornado Alley Cruisers' started by kc_chevota, Jul 22, 2005.

1. kc_chevota

kc_chevota SILVER Star

going to check out a 86/87 mini to build with mike (stepdad) what potential problems should i look for ?
    thks rob

2. tornadoalleycruiser

tornadoalleycruiser SILVER Star

IFS.. I'm just kidding.. Bob's your guy on this question or Alex Jingles.. Don't think he hangs out here tho..
    It should have powersteering which will work great for a solid axle swap.. Stick or auto?

3. kc_chevota

kc_chevota SILVER Star

4spd stick

4. Bob_Garrett

Bob_Garrett

Rob,

I found my notes from Marlin that help you figure out what the tranny is. There is no model number on the tranny, but if the tranny was built before 8/84, there is a serial number.

There will be an 8 digit number stamped at the bottom of the trans, across the back of the cast iron housing right in front and below the aluminun t/case adapter. It may sometimes be partly blocked by the aluminum housing.

The first two numbers are the month, next the year, and then the serial number on the trans. 06300985 would be a June of 83 and the 985th trans built in that month.

Bob

5. Bob_Garrett

Bob_Garrett

Rob,

One other thing to keep in mind if they used took the computer and wiring harness, you may have to replace at least some of the wiring in order to get the truck running.

Bob

6. kc_chevota

kc_chevota SILVER Star

Bob,

we planed on building a new wiring harness anyway, something simple and trail reliable.

Rob

7. kc_chevota

kc_chevota SILVER Star

we baught the mini its a 81, so got the solid front has a 22r needs to be rebuilt, looking for a 5spd trans for it since it has a 4spd

8. Bob_Garrett

Bob_Garrett

Just run the 4 spd as long as it lasts. With bigger tires you can't use 5th anyway without regearing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.