1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini truck rear for V8 swap?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by labartonmd, Mar 7, 2004.

1. labartonmd

labartonmd

I'm gathering the parts for this Mopar swap/ cheap Cruiser. Terry in NC was a wealth of info. I caught the other thread about Mini Truck axles vs LC axles. Plan A is to put the MT axles in a custom centered LC housing which is expensive. This 318 is no SBC, so why not just use the Mini housing and match ratios with the front LC? I'll be running 32 x 9.5 tires (235/85-16 10 ply---already have them on the other truck)

2. brian

brian SILVER Star

i've known a few people that had v8's in mini trucks with stock drive train from the tranny back.
    the rears will kinda hold up to an 8cly, as long as you don't drive it thinking there's a 9" back there.

you have to be ready to fix/replace stuff, when it goes it goes.
    treat it with respect and you should be ok.

3. dylan

dylan

try to get a axle from a v6 powered truck( a bit beefier). and you could always get some all-pro axle shafts.

4. labartonmd

labartonmd

Custom centered LC housing--- $700 plus shipping
    Custom Moser axles ---- $300 + plus shipping
    False sense of security that axle will not break on the trails--- Priceless!

Stuff breaks. Replacing custom stuff when it breaks takes some of the fun out of wheeling. Priced any Newfields lately? I'm wanting to stay close to stock toyota if possible so I can get replacements easy enough. The cost of doing the toyota LC centered housing with MT axles is getting close to the price of a Currie Ford 9" and we haven't even talked about brakes yet.

I'd like to hear from as many folks as possible to learn the pros and cons of what they are using. Thanks in advance.

5. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator

A cheap option might be a 1995+ Isuzu Rodeo/Honda Passport rear axle. These are Dana 44 axles and come with disk brakes and parking brakes in the rear.

Dana

6. beanz2

beanz2 Moderator