Mini truck PS on an OLD FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, the mini truck is done, but in my infinite wisdom I decided to change out the old "pin" style centerarm for the later cone type. And although I was WARNED by several guys about the difference in mounting angles, I bulled ahead and am half way through it. I've boxed the dr's side frame horn, leaving room for my fingers to get a washer, lock washer and nut on the inside. My problem is an engineering one. I need to make a piece to go on the front of the front crossmember to make it perpendicular, ie meet at a right angle to the frame horn. I've got a piece of 1/4" angle iron that I can fit, but the top bolt will have to be a stud or I'll have to drill and tap the hole, because there's no room to put a bolt behind it. Is 1/4" enough to hold that bolt? Should I drill out the front crossmember to allow access to get a nut on it? I think I can access thru the PTO hole. My inclination is to weld a stud on the top bolt hole and weld a nut on the bottom hole.
I know somebody has done this....Won't you share?
The rig is a '66 FJ40 with a '74 motor, stock 3 speed, 31's.
Mainly a DD.

Sorry this is so long :(
Ed Long :)

If you are going to drill and tap a hole, I would go with 3/8" thick at least..

How about welding a nut on the backside? Toyota has them all over the frame..even holding steering things on..

Good luck!

-Steve

Thanks for the reply Poser,
Well I can tap it, then weld a nut, then grind the nut off at an angle. Problem is, the top bolt is very close to the apex of my bracket and the leading edge of the Xmember. Maybe I'm picking fly**** out of pepper here, but I'm trying to locate the centerarm as close to original as possible. Guess it wouldn't hurt to move it an eighth or even a quarter forward. Just a little adjustment in the drag link?
Thanks,
Ed :)

You are correct Ed. The atom has been split already.

Allign it so that it is square, and make it so that it is secure, and you will be good to go! The .250" forward should not create issues...

Good luck!

-Steve

WHEN?!?!?!? Damnit! Another project down the drain.
Split atoms, thought I had an original idea.
Thanks, Poser ;)
Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom