Mini truck PS in a 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have been reading all the PS tech articles as I am planning on doing the PS conversion while I do the frame off and SOA. I am looking at the mini PS because it leaves the front frame rails empty for a winch and it looks like it will use my existing steering column, tie rod, steering stabilizer, etc.

Is there any reason I wouldn't want to run mini truck PS with an SOA 40 with 35's and 4x4 labs high steer? (relay rod, strength, etc)

If I do, I already have a JT Outfitters bracket for a Saginaw PS pump, any reason I can't plumb a Sag pump into a mini gear box?

IMO, the minitruck PS conversion is at it's max with 35's, perhaps even over the max for tire size....

Look into the Scout Saginaw/FJ60 PS conversion to keep your frame horns clear and eliminate the relay rod/center arm.

No reason the Sag pump and mini box won't match up, just may take some creativity with the pressure hose...

High Pressure Hose

JT's has the hose with the fittings already set up for the GM pump and Mini
Box.

With a SUA setup You've got to turn your steering full left and see whether your chosen tire will make any contact with the pitman shaft/rod. It's really not enough to simply put it down to tire size as the general 'rule' does. For example, I've got a set of 34 x 10.5 15 (LTR I think) bias tires that measure 33.6" but have huge projecting blocks of tread that will contact at full stop, If that happens at any significant speed I hate to think what would happen. I've heard of someone actually tearing their pitman rod off the truck this way. So you adjust the steering stop and can't turn as tight. I'm not sure that the same issue would arise with an SOA but have a close look for it.

There's inherent weakness in the whole idea. The frame steel is only 3/16" where the centerarm mounts, and it's all holed up too. I think it's fine for stock input forces (duh!) but wonder about adding the hydraulic assistance pressure to the design capability. Someone in here has said that he's successfully used a mini setup for years and taken it through rubicon several times but has had to fix frame cracks in the area of the centerarm more than once. So it sounds like it depends a lot on what you intend to do with the truck.

Look at that skinny pitman rod and imagine it flexing like a drawn longbow when you apply a couple tons of pressure in a right turn with your wheels pushing rock or hard clay in a rut. Beef the rod with a sleeve or fatter steel and then back you go to look at the interference of the tire when turned the other way.

There are ready made mini-truck to saginaw pump pressure hoses. JT sells one, MAF too, pretty sure.

There's no problem using a Saginaw gear with an 8274, which is the only winch to use anyway :)

Thinking that the SOA with high steer would raise the gearbox and rod enough to avoid the whole interference issue with 35s. Maybe so, but to me the whole idea sounds spooky and dangerous.

kdink79 said:
JT's has the hose with the fittings already set up for the GM pump and Mini
Box.

There is no difference in the fittings on the GM saginaw pump and the Toyota minitruck box. An FJ60 high pressure hose works great.

CruisinGA said:
There is no difference in the fittings on the GM saginaw pump and the Toyota minitruck box. An FJ60 high pressure hose works great.

Didn't know that. I assumed a metric thread in the Toyota parts. Tell me that the oil pressure gallery plugs are 1/8" npt and I'll have a happier morning. :)

I have broken two center arms by contacting and grabbing the rod from the Toy PS box. Turn out your bumpstops and it will not happen. You would think I would have learned the first time.
This was with 33x12.5 swampers. When I went to the 34x 9.5's- no problems.
I am stepping up tire size and will most likely go the FJ60 PS route.

honk said:
There's no problem using a Saginaw gear with an 8274, which is the only winch to use anyway :)

You have convinced me about the strength issue. But I was thinking about an OEM PTO winch so I am leaning towards 60 PS now.

So now it would be Sag pump, 60 gear box, ford shock towers, hi steer and 35's. Unless I can fit a 60 pump on a 1976 2f block?

(edit:spelling)

Last edited:
IanB said:
You have convinced me about the strength issue. But I was thinking about an OEM PTO winch so I am leaning towards 60 PS now.

So now it would be Sag pump, 60 gear box, ford shock towers, hi steer and 35's. Unless I can fit a 60 pump on a 1976 2f block?

(edit:spelling)

Doesn't the 60 gearbox mount inside the frame rail? If it does how could a PTO driveshaft get to the winch?

If the box mounts outside the frame the Ford tower might be pretty hard to fit. They're a channel with the "legs" extending about an inch out from the frame rail.

Either way you're gonna' need to follow that old advise to "measure twice before you cut once".

a wise choice to ditch the push pull crap of the stock steering, just did it and love ps

honk said:
Doesn't the 60 gearbox mount inside the frame rail? If it does how could a PTO driveshaft get to the winch?

I have no idea if it will fit, thats why I was looking at mini PS. Does anyone know?

60 mounts outside the frame rail, same as a Scout...the conversions are VERY similar...

great writeup in Toyota Trails on the 60-box install...

I did the mini and wish I had not. I run 32X9.50 TSL's and there is a little assistance at 0 mph but past that there is little change from stock in terms of feel. I rub the Pitman as well due to the lugs. i need to change the stops.

Ian-

Please explain why you are set on a PTO winch?

What do you intend on using your Land Crusier for?

The latter will help with figuring out what steering modification would possibly be better than another for you...

Thanks.

My friend runs 60 steering, PTO winch, and home made extended towers, just incorporated them in to the fender brace. Sorry, no pics- but it does work.

Jukelemon said:
I did the mini and wish I had not. I run 32X9.50 TSL's and there is a little assistance at 0 mph but past that there is little change from stock in terms of feel. I rub the Pitman as well due to the lugs. i need to change the stops.

I have plenty of boost at all speeds with my minitruck. 33x12.5" swampers, one finger steering on pavement at a standstill.

I have a fairly small (3.5") (too small) pulley on my saginaw pump, this makes a difference. I would think that you have a problem somewhere that is causing this.

Poser said:
Please explain why you are set on a PTO winch?

What do you intend on using your Land Crusier for?

I am not set on a PTO winch, I just wanted one. If I can't do it w/ PS then so be it, I still like the 60 PS idea becuase its not in my front frame rails like a sag and its a toyota part unlike a scout.

This rig is to wheel but must remain legal to drive to the trailhead. I don't have a tow rig and don't want one. Also I work on it just becuase I like doing so. So since I am taking the body off the frame and cleaning and painting the frame I am going to make any and all of my frame modifications now. PS, SOA, shackle reversal, anti-wrap bar, skid plate, possibly new crossmember.

Should be ready for Cruise Moab............ 2010! :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom