Mini truck power steering (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tlcgear.com
has anybody (I'm sure someone has) install a mini truck power steering system into a cruiser? was it a lot of work, or does it just bolt on? I saw the 55 conversion on the technical links but wondered if it is much different for a 40.

thanks.

- Rico.

55/40 are near identical...box from a 84-ish minitruck (push-pull), frame bracket, hoses, and pump.

what year 40?

[quote author=tlcgear link=board=1;threadid=12931;start=msg119174#msg119174 date=1078984962]
has anybody (I'm sure someone has) install a mini truck power steering system into a cruiser? was it a lot of work, or does it just bolt on? I saw the 55 conversion on the technical links but wondered if it is much different for a 40.

thanks.

- Rico.
[/quote]

I run the mini setup on my 40. Its a long afternoon bolt on IF you have the latter steering column with a rag joint. If you have the earlier column there is more work involved.
BTW, I've run this setup about 3 years with 35" tires through rubicon/fordyce level trails multiple times. The ceter link is NOT designed for the stress involved here. My frame has cracked in the area around the link. Keep an eye on it.
PMK

[quote author=Landpimp link=board=1;threadid=12931;start=msg119257#msg119257 date=1079015901]
what year 40?
[/quote]

73' 40.

- Thanks.

[quote author=pygpen link=board=1;threadid=12931;start=msg119258#msg119258 date=1079016445]
I run the mini setup on my 40. Its a long afternoon bolt on IF you have the latter steering column with a rag joint. If you have the earlier column there is more work involved.
BTW, I've run this setup about 3 years with 35" tires through rubicon/fordyce level trails multiple times. The ceter link is NOT designed for the stress involved here. My frame has cracked in the area around the link. Keep an eye on it.
PMK

[/quote]

That is the same setup I will end up with (35" tires) so maybe I just spend the extra effort and time (and of course money) to go with the scout setup.

Thanks for the input.

Hmmmmmm

How many $ is a used Truck PS ??

Ive got a complete FJ60 Steering lying around here anyway but a proper easyer Bolt on would be perfect. Even got some 55 Steering Parts...... they would be handy from Steering Wheel to Box .

Maybe theres someone in Arizona selling a Truck PS-Box for a few Bucks?
A Friend of mine from Germany could pick it up for me and save Shipping to Frankfurt.

Checkthe mini-truck boards (pirate), they swap them out for x-over all the time. Should be cheap. Got mine for 40 bucks in great condition.
PMK
[quote author=FJ40-GARAGE link=board=1;threadid=12931;start=msg119319#msg119319 date=1079022083]
Hmmmmmm

How many $ is a used Truck PS ??

Ive got a complete FJ60 Steering lying around here anyway but a proper easyer Bolt on would be perfect. Even got some 55 Steering Parts...... they would be handy from Steering Wheel to Box .

Maybe theres someone in Arizona selling a Truck PS-Box for a few Bucks?
A Friend of mine from Germany could pick it up for me and save Shipping to Frankfurt.
[/quote]

i just finished my mini truck ps yesterday and i love it, so far. i used the whole setup from a 84 pick up (box, pump and hoses). i wish i would have used a saginaw pump. but the toy pump was free.

I'm doing the same on my 68 fj40, just finished the (sag) pump conversion. Had to toss the stock air cleaner, trim the end of the Alt bracket off and shorten the rad hose. This weekend we box!!! So far seems smooth.

Post up some pics guys!!!

what years is the "latter steering column" with rag joint?

I did mine a year ago and it has worked great. I don't do a lot of hardcore wheeling but it does fine for what I do. I am running 34" swampers and it turn's them just fine. I will post pics if you like.

Here is a pic I think I posted before.
'80's GM rebuilt pump $50
Bill Dorry's pump and box mounts $170 for both
Box from Woody $50
Custom High pressure hose$23
Ragjoint and bottom of later steering column$35
Transmission cooler/generic $35
Volvo pulley $5

Degnol,

Did you run your PS belt around the water pump as well as the crank?

Couldn't I just run it off the crank? Is there anything in the way?

[quote author=bad_religion_au link=board=1;threadid=12931;start=msg126224#msg126224 date=1080110064]
what years is the "latter steering column" with rag joint?
[/quote]

09/72 40 series changed steering columns and steering gears to what would be the 'latter style gear box that used a rag joint to couple the gear and the column together, opposed to the steering shaft being integeral with the steering gear, as on trucks before 09/72..

Good luck!

-Steve

Degnol-

What month/year is your 40?

Well....It is titled a '66, but I suspect it is earlier. The firewall is stamped totally ambidexterous, like mirror image. I've got an aftermarket, like dealer installed, heater and bought a heater(OEM) so I could have defrost etc. Well the stampings on the firewall do not accomodate the standard FJ heater. I can make it work, but sheesh. I still have the ID plate on the firewall if that is any help to identify the year, but I also did the shackle reversal and the plate covers the frame # partially.
I wanted to keep my old steering wheel so I bought a column and cut off the bottom splines(that go to the rag joint) and sleeved it, well put some tubing over it and used that to weld to the bottom of my cutoff OEM steering column, if that makes sense.
If I had not Fupped the wiring on the alternator, it would be running right now!
Ed :)

Sorry, Outback, I didn't answer your question. Yes, I could run the PS without running the waterpump, I just like the idea of having two belts on the waterpump, in case I lose one. Can't go far W/O waterpump/fan. The pulley was like $8. I also changed from the 4 blade metal fan to a 6 blade nylon fan and used a fan spacer to get it "in the shroud". After dicking around with generic spacers and a lathe, I found out that good ol' Marv sells them for $5, so....
I know there are all kinds of ways to mount pumps of all kinds and descriptions, but I ordered Bill Dorry's, bought both the pump and gearbox mounts for $170 and he shipped free, with all hardware and instructions. Plus a bunch of "tech support".
Very nice guy. I do believe that I could have kept the stock alternator location, his pump mounts high enough.

[quote author=Degnol link=board=1;threadid=12931;start=msg126511#msg126511 date=1080168040]
Well....It is titled a '66, but I suspect it is earlier. The firewall is stamped totally ambidexterous, like mirror image. I've got an aftermarket, like dealer installed, heater and bought a heater(OEM) so I could have defrost etc. Well the stampings on the firewall do not accomodate the standard FJ heater. I can make it work, but sheesh. I still have the ID plate on the firewall if that is any help to identify the year, but I also did the shackle reversal and the plate covers the frame # partially.
I wanted to keep my old steering wheel so I bought a column and cut off the bottom splines(that go to the rag joint) and sleeved it, well put some tubing over it and used that to weld to the bottom of my cutoff OEM steering column, if that makes sense.
If I had not Fupped the wiring on the alternator, it would be running right now!
[/quote]

What are the numbers on the tag located on the firewall?

Thanks!

-Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom