mini truck p/s install - why is it so hot? (1 Viewer)

Just completed my mini truck p/s install. Works great, turns easy, runs smooth. The question I have is why does the pump and gearbox get so hot? Is this normal? Using stock manifolds without headers. Is this just a by product of engine heat absorbtion? I know the pump is not working hard, just street driving on 33's.

No cooler. I'm just worried about melting seals in gear pump. I'm not running it hard, but I guess that's a function of my rpm's not terrain.

You need a cooler. The stock 40 version had a long tube cooler. Many others use a small cooler (I think Man-a-fre sells them...and not too expensive).

I use the aux tranny cooler from a '92 FJ80. Here's my thread. Took about 1 hr once I figured it all out:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/40-55-series-tech/289209-80-series-atf-cooler-used-40-series-ps-cooler.html

I plowed snow for 15 hours straight with several hundred pounds worth of plow and brackets on the front end and had no heat problems whatsoever.....just sayin'....

Bodean

Hot Damn
Just buy a small tranny cooler from Summit or Jegs (or local parts store) It will save the pump in the long run.

i just completed mine mini truck ps conversion. I run a cooler and a filter... It runs nice and cool.. I highly suggest using the factory heat shield on the gear box... I can't believe i waited 19 years to put on power steering.. What a difference.

I plowed snow for 15 hours straight with several hundred pounds worth of plow and brackets on the front end and had no heat problems whatsoever.....just sayin'....[/QUOTE]
Sounds to me like you've had several hundred pounds of white, soft cooler instead!!!

True, outside temps are low, but I'm really working the steering. I plow residential driveways and narrow mountain roads and am constantly turning this way and that. That's one benefit of plowing with a 40....I can turn around in spots that a full-size pick-up never could. Before I had the minitruck PS, my arms and shoulders would ache so badly after a big storm and I'd be dripping sweat from the efforts of turning with the manual steering. Don't know why I waited so long to do the PS conversion.....stupidity, I guess.

True, outside temps are low, but I'm really working the steering. I plow residential driveways and narrow mountain roads and am constantly turning this way and that. That's one benefit of plowing with a 40....I can turn around in spots that a full-size pick-up never could. Before I had the minitruck PS, my arms and shoulders would ache so badly after a big storm and I'd be dripping sweat from the efforts of turning with the manual steering. Don't know why I waited so long to do the PS conversion.....stupidity, I guess.

Did you have to trim your fender in order to fit it around the gear box? The brackets I bought from OrangeFJ40 were all pre drilled so I had no room to adjust the gearbox location.

No, I didn't have to trim my fender, but the gearbox is right up next to it. You can probably "oblong" the holes a bit without causing a problem....check with Georg - he'll help you out.

I picked up a junkyard cooler from a suburban (I think?) for $10 and it works awesome. I just installed it between my bib and my radiator. I did have to trim my fender to fit around the new gearbox. I trimmed and bent/rounded the edges to prevent vibration damage to any hoses or parts just in case something rubs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom