Mini-truck P/S Gearbox rebuild recommendations?

Any recommendations on who to send a 79-85 4x4 mini-truck power steering gearbox to for a rebuild? I'm considering www.discountsteering.com, West Texas Offroad, my local Autozone and a local (Houston) rebuild shop. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Patrick

Pin_Head

Why not just get another good used one? The most I have paid is $50 and the least $20.

dgangle

total rice

If you go the rebuild route I would suggest sending it to someone local that way you can put your hands around their throat if it takes too long or doesn't hold up.

Landpimp

GOLD Star

I had a place in Seattle do my mini truck guts to fj40 casting swap and rebuild for me, I supplied the kit($60) and they did the work for $200............turn around was one day.

Redhead Gear in Seattle, Harvey was my contact, I can dig up the # if you want.

If the box is already in good shape, it's not hard to do it yourself since you won't have to mess with the valve body and the new housing comes with a new cross shaft needle bearing already installed. Just be careful not to let the power piston come apart or else you will have a million ball bearings on the floor. The hard part is putting the power piston back into the housing without pinching the new teflon seal. I used a feeler gauge to shoe horn it into place. SOR has the Toyota chassis manual #98344.

Top Bottom