mini truck disc conversion. what about steering arms? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
well i've come to the point where a decision needs to be made about the steering arms on my 40. high-steer is not in the immediate future so it's looking like i'm going to have to weld, drill, and ream the hilux arms to fit the fj40 tie rod ends. i figure i will weld (mig) and drill them myself, then find a machine shop that can do the taper for me.

is this the normal way of making these parts work together?
if so, should i just buy my own reamer?
is there any other economical way of getting everything to work?

thanks!

No need to bubba the arms. There is a Toyota solution. A buddy just did this. Actually, I did the work, but he bought the parts. He used the large pattern arms from a newer model FJ40. I think they were 1979+. They were a bolt on with no issues.

If I remember correctly he bought them from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters.

another option are tapered billet steel inserts. i stock them along with everything else needed for a disc brake swap or knuckle rebuild.

hth

georg @ valley hybrids

Or.. convert to FJ60 rod ends. It will require custom tie/relay rods

IMG_3351.jpg

No need to bubba the arms. There is a Toyota solution. A buddy just did this. Actually, I did the work, but he bought the parts. He used the large pattern arms from a newer model FJ40. I think they were 1979+. They were a bolt on with no issues.

If I remember correctly he bought them from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters.

Bubba? sure, if you want to spend extra $$ for no reason, there are other solutions, BUT a few minutes with a grinder with a cut off wheel will save you some money.

Noah

This is what we did and it has been fine. Cost next to nothing as well.

If you call $4 nothing! Geeze, where do you guys get all this discretionary income????:rolleyes:

I have two welded double steering arms for sale if you just want to buy one instead of building it. One has the larger mini truck/FJ60 TRE holes and the other has the smaller FJ40 TRE holes. PM me if you are interested.

If you call $4 nothing! Geeze, where do you guys get all this discretionary income????:rolleyes:

:lol: just gotta dig in the couch a little harder :hillbilly:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom