Mini-truck brake bracket cutting (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

hobbes

SILVER Star
Threads
I installed a mini-truck brake conversion about 20 years ago. I'm jumping into the front end to reseal everything and properly shim the knuckles. IOT remove the brake caliper, I had to open up the brake connection (circled in blue) to remove it from its bracket (circled in red). That was an unnecessary PITA and now I'll have to add brake bleeding to the job.

Does anyone (or everyone) just put a notch in the bracket (in red), so they don't have to open up the brake lines to get the caliper off? Alternatively, since I have to bleed them anyhow, is there a one piece flexible brake line that I can replace the two piece hard and soft line?

Thanks....

2E761BD1-61C8-44F9-89FF-90C82DC94A52_1_201_a.jpeg

A8F224DD-71A9-4F42-AFCE-ECFD91F35D0D.jpeg
CFA3647D-DD57-43AF-8032-31BA2217401C.jpeg

I think most folks just unbolt the flexible line bracket off the backing plate then remove the caliper keeping the hard line, bracket and flex line still attached to the caliper.

Last edited:
That was my first thought. But my bracket is factory spot welded in the front. Now that I think of it, I suppose I could drill the spot weld out and just put a fastener there.:idea:

Thanks!

Interesting, I think, on 40's its a fitting that's bolted on.

Mine was off a mini-truck in a desert junkyard. Silly design.

Curious about good solutions for this as well. I used a backing plate eliminator and have no place to mount a union. Seems like someone out there has got to be making a flexible brake line that would just by-pass the union and go straight into the caliper, JT Outfitters may have one but they are labeled sold out and I can't even read the specs. Too much flexing causing break down of the line? These are pictures of the 76-78 discs on from a 40 I'm using. I ground the welded stud on the back of the bracket at the top of the photo to free up the elbow, that bracket was then bolted to the backing plate.But now the elbow is just floating there and I don't think I should continue putting it back together without a better solution.

sWAbXjuiTIi6IJhaC1egPA.jpg

b3sn70RLR9+lPX+9V6iwFA.jpg

I should have double back and updated what I did, which doesn't help you. I decided to just slot the bracket. The parts diagrams show one clip holding the union on. But with my mish-mash of parts (I think), the OEM clip for a mini-truck didn't work. I reused the two clips I had on there (one above, one below the bracket). Not sure if I've got a 74 union or a mini-truck. The lower clip (which you cannot see) looks to be Toyota as it is the same design as the mini-truck one I ordered, only a bit thinner. The upper one is just a hardware store c-clip.
tempImagen1aD2M.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom