mini truck 5sp??? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Cruiser purists continue at your own risk AND forget the fact that 'cruiser transfers and rearends are offset.

I'm thinking that running a minitruck trans & transfer case along with a centered diff minitruck rearend would be a good way to get a 5sp with overdrive into 'cruiser and still keep it all toyota.

Does anyone run a minitruck 5sp (L50, L52, G52, G54, G58, W56, R150F, R151F) behind a 2f? How does it hold up?

The mini trucks are a bit narrower then the Cruiser is. I'm not sure exactly how much, but I know it's a noticeable differance. I'm guessing you would have some issues with the axles.

axle widthwas the first thing I checked and should work:

Fj40,45,55: front axle 57in, rear 55in.

Mini truck rear: '79-85 55in, '86 on 58in

Not sure if anybody has found a way to adapt the tranny; Advance Adapters says they got nothin...

why not a h55f? and why downgrade the axles to something smaller???
im pretty sure the bellhousing on the w56 is smaller the the h42/h55f

this idea is whack

Howdy! Min truck rear axle in an FJ 40 has been done a number of times to accommodate the centered output of domestic transfer cases, usually in concert with domestic transmissions and engines. It can work, but it is not as stout as a Cruiser. Thought the 151 or such came OEM in non USA market cruisers with diesels, so something might fit the bell. But, the mini transmissions are longer than the H41/42, H55F series, and again, probably not as stout. As mentioned, why not just go with a direct bolt in with the H55F and split case that goes with the offset axles? John

cant believe a mini tranny will hold up to the amount of abuse an 2f can put out.

Me neither. Here is a mini-truck transmission I rebuilt for one of my sons, a G52 if memory serves. The gears are not nearly as big and beefy as any H-series Cruiser transmission.

G-52transmission001.jpg

G-52transmission003.jpg

As much as I'd love an H55, My thinking is that an H55 is pretty tough to come by and expensive b/c they were not imported to the US. I haven't seen an H55 sell for much less than a grand and I can pick up mini truck stuff 5speeds all day long for 200-300 bucks. Then consider that used 4.7 low gear twinsticked transfercases go for about $400-550 and dual case setups are for sale all over for about the same. I'm not sold on the idea, just thinking about options for my next project...two kids and money is tight. Trying to identify cheap plentiful parts but keep it Toyota.

I know this is a prohibitively long drivetrain but this would be going in a rig with a wheelbase stretched to about 105-110.

I am in no way considering this as an strength upgrade and completely recognize the H series tranny as superior in strengh- I just can't afford the 5sp. BUT, As stated earlier, some of the mini truck 5 speeds came behind torquey deisels and others were behind the V6 which is factory rated at about 150hp. This is more HP than a stock 2f. My hope is to find out if this has been done and see how it held up. Trannies have not usually been the weak link in minitruck drivetrains even behind the chevy v6.

Last edited:
Would it really be cheaper to swap in tranny, transfer case, & both axles, then cut and weld drive shafts from a mini truck rather than to drop in an H55f? Not to mention the time involved.

Would it really be cheaper to swap in tranny, transfer case, & both axles, then cut and weld drive shafts from a mini truck rather than to drop in an H55f? Not to mention the time involved.

Nope x 2.

A mini transmission is as long as an h42 with dual cases behind it. Put dual cases behind a mini trans and you're gonna need more than 105-110's. By the time you source all the mini truck parts, rebuild them, and then spend gobs of time getting it to work, you will have more invested than what an H55 costs. And that don't even include trying to attach it to the 2F (which may be possible, but would be costly).

I am more totally prepared to concede that this may not be a great idea, however, the question remains has a mini truck tranny been adapted to run behind a 2f?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom