Mini PS vs FJ40 OEM PS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here is a question that should be easy. I have this Mini truck 1983 that has a complete PS setup.

I figured why not use it on the 1979 FJ40 I just bought.

Is there any mods required to the truck or frame with Mini PS that would detract from the value of a otherwise 100% original restoration of a 1979 FJ40?

I mean the mini PS is free, I would only need that bracket that is sold by hopefully someone other than JTO.

I don't think I have ever seen a FJ40 in person with OEM PS. Just wondering how different the mini is to the OEM system? The FAQ had some of the basics just hoping this won't detract from the truck.

thanks

Aaron

I think that you could get the Land Cruiser power steering housing from Cdan yet, get a seal kit for the power gear from him too, and swap the guts from that power box into the Land Cruiser box, and then you would not have to modify your frame for that Pickup gear box to work...

A bit more screwing around, but if you are seriously concerned about resale value, or messing with a clean stock vehicle, then that would be the way to go.

Good luck!

-Steve

thanks Steve

Steve- thanks for that reply. I thought there was a connection within the two. yes, I don't want to alter the FJ40. I have a non stock FJ40 for wheeling, I am not a 100% purist but this FJ40 is newer 1979 and one that I want to be all stock.

thanks

Aaron

Aaron, If you do a search Landpimp has done guts swap, I think it a more $ wise but looks really sweet.

I set the mini ps and Volvo pump on the 45 a couple of days ago, I got the mounts from W. Dorrey very nice mounts and very easy to install

Last edited:
1 more

Last edited:
yeah I agree with Poser, take the mini truck box guts and swap in into a new OEM fj40 housing.

cost would be-ish

mini box free
new OEM casting under $300
OEM seal kit(same for mini or 40) $60
having a shop(Redhead Gear in Seattle, Harvey is the contact) swap the guts and rebuild/seal, $200
used fj60 PS pump, $100
Hoses, little trany cooler, $100

the only real difference in a mini box and a OEM fj40 is the angle/pedestal of the box, the aftermarket mini fj40 kits simply put the mini box at the OEM fj40 angle, the new OEM fj40 housing does this same thing.

for resale the OEM fj40 PS will add value.

on a 79+ use a fj60 PS pump(its the same as OEM fj40)

few pics, this is a OEM fj40 casting/housing
70044131.jpg

70044127.jpg

here is a OEM fj40 PS box
66179059.jpg

66179053.jpg

OEM fj40(mini guts into new OEM casting) installed on my 82
31617643.jpg

small trany cooler I used inplace of the OEM cooling tubes
69910330.jpg

No guestions in my mind that it was one of the best mods I did to my 82, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

also there is NO difference in feel between a mini PS or OEM fj40.......they are the same.

let me know if you need some help or questions.

thanks

Wow thanks Myrle and thanks John.

this is very clear to me now.

I think I will do the OEM PS just for the ease of driving. My wife doesn't like to drive a lifted 40 with full cage so I am hoping a stock height 1979 FJ40 with stocker rims/tires and OEM PS will be a nice little driver for her.

John- thanks for the breakdown on pricing also.

In Spokane, WA sometimes folks price their work a bit high as there is limited competition vs the West side where there are lots of shops.

Aaron

My 79 with the same setup drives like a car now. In some ways the PS ruined the character of the FJ40, I sort of liked the heavy steering except for rare occasions on the rocks when it became almost impossible to turn the wheel or when the wheel snapped back sending my left arm into the door striker.

You will also have to shorten the steering shaft around an inch if you use the OEM box.

Pimp, can you get the new OEM PS castings in RHD? Also, do you know if later-model (90's vintage) mini-truck PS box guts will work also?

I'll have a RHD box off a HiLux/Surf that's coming with a half-cut I've purchased, and I would much rather do the type of conversion you did on your '82.

I have no idea, I have no way to source RHD stuff. Mike Bingham at Cabe might be the guy to talk to. Or Rick D.

and I would say no to the late modle mini box guts, but thats just a guess.

dieseldog said:
Pimp, can you get the new OEM PS castings in RHD? Also, do you know if later-model (90's vintage) mini-truck PS box guts will work also?

I'll have a RHD box off a HiLux/Surf that's coming with a half-cut I've purchased, and I would much rather do the type of conversion you did on your '82.

very true, need to be shortened right at the pin(45221A) needs to be re-drilled for the same
70171582.jpg

she will love it :)

if you need help sourcing the parts let me know, i can/will help you out.

RIDDLER said:
Wow thanks Myrle and thanks John.

this is very clear to me now.

I think I will do the OEM PS just for the ease of driving. My wife doesn't like to drive a lifted 40 with full cage so I am hoping a stock height 1979 FJ40 with stocker rims/tires and OEM PS will be a nice little driver for her.

John- thanks for the breakdown on pricing also.

In Spokane, WA sometimes folks price their work a bit high as there is limited competition vs the West side where there are lots of shops.

Aaron

If you're lucky you have the collapsing shaft. Mine was sold. It's not a big deal to cut and weld it if you don't. Are they still available from Toyota?

I tried my FJ40 out at the local 4x4 park this weekend and it's so easy to drive now it's boring! It's a toss up whether the PS or the H41 was the best mod I've done. It's a whole different vehicle, and best of all, it's all TOYOTA!

thanks Norm

Norm- thanks for the reply. tell me about the H41 tranny? Is that stock for what years of landcruisers?

What model tranny comes in the 1979 FJ40?

thanks

Aaron

I got it from SOR with a 10 spline output shaft that mated directly to my 3 speed transfer case. It's an Australian 4 speed with a granny (4.95:1) 1st gear. It's not as low as the SM465, but quite nice IMHO. Driving it around town I use 2nd (with 32" tires) for starting out since it's a little annoying to shift to 2nd before I even get into the intersection. The nice thing about using it as a 3 speed around town is 2nd (what I use as 1st) is synchronized. In a 79 with the 3:70 gears and some 33" tires you probably could use 1st gear on the street.

Off road with the power steering it was so easy to drive it was scary. I was idling down a rutted creek bed with one side of the cruiser driving on the vertical wall and the other on the berm. I lost concentration for a second, and the cruiser started turning up the wall. I think I could have gotten by with just the h41 and non power steering, since everything is happening much more slowly now. I can't wait to go to Rubicon or Ershem, it will be a cake walk compared to the times I went with with a 3 speed non power steering cruiser.

79 is the H42 in the US.

RIDDLER said:
Norm- thanks for the reply. tell me about the H41 tranny? Is that stock for what years of landcruisers?

What model tranny comes in the 1979 FJ40?

thanks

Aaron

power steering

will the set up above work on a 1973 fj40 with a 1976 2F engine and 6 into 1 headers? Thanks, RG

You can't use the factory pump and bracket with a 73 block because it doesn't have the mounting holes in the block. If your steering column doesn't have a rag joint, you can fit a later model steering column (with a shortened shaft) with some mods to the firewall.

yeah I agree with Poser, take the mini truck box guts and swap in into a new OEM fj40 housing.

cost would be-ish

mini box free
new OEM casting under $300
OEM seal kit(same for mini or 40) $60
having a shop(Redhead Gear in Seattle, Harvey is the contact) swap the guts and rebuild/seal, $200
used fj60 PS pump, $100
Hoses, little trany cooler, $100

the only real difference in a mini box and a OEM fj40 is the angle/pedestal of the box, the aftermarket mini fj40 kits simply put the mini box at the OEM fj40 angle, the new OEM fj40 housing does this same thing.

for resale the OEM fj40 PS will add value.

on a 79+ use a fj60 PS pump(its the same as OEM fj40)

few pics, this is a OEM fj40 casting/housing
70044131.jpg

70044127.jpg

here is a OEM fj40 PS box
66179059.jpg

66179053.jpg

OEM fj40(mini guts into new OEM casting) installed on my 82
31617643.jpg

small trany cooler I used inplace of the OEM cooling tubes
69910330.jpg

No guestions in my mind that it was one of the best mods I did to my 82, I would do it again in a heartbeat.

also there is NO difference in feel between a mini PS or OEM fj40.......they are the same.

let me know if you need some help or questions.

Hey Pimp, this post is so old the pics no longer work. Could you update w the pics for those that are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom