Mini Disk Tech ?'s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Greetings,

I'm currently doing a mini disk converstion on my fj40 and I had a few questions about the install. Everything has been going well over the past few days but there are a few steps im having difficulty with.

First, the warn hubs I have off the mini seem to been in need of a rebuild, does anyone know of any articles about this? I have searched and not come up with anything useful.

Also, When installing the short side axle, I'm having difficulty installing the axle. I have made sure the grinding the axle for the larger birf, but I'm still not able to get the axle all the way into the diff.

lastly, I picked up a set of double male brass fittings to screw install into the mini calipers. They dont have a flange on them, but as the brake lines I have have two female ends I needed something with a double male to fit the brake lines. Should these work? It looks something like this but then ends are equil sizes.

fitting-1-8-npt-male-1-4-npt-male.jpg

Thanks for any input, Mike

1> I wouldn't waste time/effort on Warn hubs, but would source a set of Aisins....much stronger.

2> Try rotating the driveshaft while you install the birf/inner combo...that usually aligns the side gear splines and lets things slide into place.

3> Not sure what hose you'd have that's double female, but IMO get the correct hoses...check Cruiser Facts and get the shorter one in there that eliminates the disc backing plate. Every additional fitting point = more chances for leaks/problems.....

Mike-
give the front driveshaft a slight spin, or the other tire if the hub is locked. This will rotate the third to help you line up its splines with the axle shafts.

I would think the warn hubs must be pretty close in design to the stock Asins, so could refer to the manual. How come you think they need a rebuild? They chipped? If you are in need of gaskets to put them back together, you can just use gasket goo.

For the brakes, it sounds like you've got the right idea, but maybe the wrong part. You will need to make sure that the fitting is actually for brakes, because it will have the right special METRIC threads, and have a dimple in it for the soft line to plug into (will look like the end of a hard line...)

If you end up getting new lines, go with Napa part number 380127. Or you can keep your backing plates, run the stocker backing plate set up to the soft line. You'll need to make a short hard line unless you still have the ones from the backing plate.

Let me know if you have any questions. You can call my cell too. Kick ass youre getting it back together!

-Dustin

Hey guys thanks for the info.

There are a few reasons why I think the hubs need to be gone thru. I don’t think they need to be rebuilt, I just need to know how they work. They are currently not engaging/difficult to engage, the grease needs to be replaced, some of the parts are a little rusty. Overall, I’m just looking for something to reference like an exploded view of this particular hub to see how it works and if I’m missing any components. I’ll take a gander at the manual and see what I can find. Didn’t really think about that in my frustration last night.

Thanks for the info on the brakes—The two small male to male fittings are specifically for brakes and they are metric treads. I just wanted to use those lines you gave me Dustin and make it as simple as possible. I haven’t been able to test yet, but I think they should be fine.

Last edited:
found the problem, one hub was totally shot and thats why I was so frustrated last night. one had a broken brass ring which seemed to be pretty unusual... the other seems to be in good working order. im going to look for a set of aisins or for the time being one warn to finish up this up. im also waiting on the other birf from the doner axle.

:grinpimp:

BTW Manny, I used your method to adjust my front end, less than 1/4" diff between the two. GOOD STUFF!

Glad it worked for you....now go out and treat yourself to a nice steak with the $$ you saved :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom