Mini case in fj40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I busted my Landcruiser transfercase this weeking at the hammers. I am looking at putting a mini truck dual case setup in the Fj40 but I dont know how they would hold up. I currently have a SBC 350 with a sm465. I am running 37's. The motor is mildly built Vortec. I am concerned on how the mini truck transfercase will hold up with the weight of the vehicle and the V8. Does anyone know how these would hold up. I know I will need to change to a centered rear axle. What do you guys think? Has anyone done this.

Thanks
CAcy

Hi All:

Why a mini-truck t-case? To get the dual low range option?

If you need strength consider the "split" t-case from the 60/70 Series Land Cruisers - I'm not sure but Marlin might have a version of his "Toybox" that would work with this t-case.

HTH.

Regards,

Alan
Seattle

Contact Mace, he is running a mini case in his 40, IIRC....should have seen him at the hammers this last weekend...

:beer:

The mini tcase is at least as strong as the 3 and 4 speed cases. Not sure if stronger than the split case. You have mail, I am selling my toybox setup in favor of a motor swap and 700r4/Atlas.

I would go from SM465 to NP203 GRB to LC T-case. Easy conversion.

I bet on my rig pretty well out at the hammers this weekend. And the mini tcases just smiled.

It is a long setup but works well.

WHat did you have in mind??

Mace

I broke the front nose cone this weekend at the hammers and I know there are a lot of issues with the cases breaking in half. I am trying to come up with a stronger transfer case without going with an atlas or orion. I heard that the mini cases were stronger but was not sure. I also want to have more gear reduction. I was thinking maybe just one case with a 4:1 kit in it. I am just not low enough for most of the trails that I go on. I was thinking going with a 9 inch in the rear, but temporarly build an axle like Woody did with the cruiser and mini axles. Does anyone know if the mini axles will fit in a 72 cruiser third or would I need to go with a later model cruiser third. Money is real tight, that why I dont want to go with the bulletproof stuff. Its going to be awhile before I can do Dana 60's, if ever. Also, Woody if you read this can you point me in the direction of a write up on the axle you built. I saw the tread in Hardcore but there was not a lot of info.

Thanks in Advance,
Cacy Frazier

The mini axles will work in the '72 center section....

Why did the nose cone break? Too much droop in the suspension? Did the drive shaft bind up? I would figure that out before you install another case, unless you are going to replace the Land Cruiser case...

Installed a Toybox behind a 465 a little while ago with an Orion behind that. Customer had it in the rocks for the first time last Sunday. It works great. You could get the Toybox set up for a mini case and go that route, but with money being short, I do not know how you are going to get to 4:1 inexpensively...

Good luck!

-Steve

I have dual mini t/c in my 40 (like Mace said, very long) behind an auto trans and mini rear axle (V6 carrier w/spool). I will run the rear axle until it breaks and opt for a D60.

Mace, I would like to see photos of your set-up.

Tony

I really dont know why it broke. A while back I had some problems with my tranny. When the sm465 was built some sort of nut that kept the output shaft from moving was left out and I was getting lots of vibration. This was causing the bolt that holds that transfercase gear on the output shaft to vibrate loose and fall out. THe tranny finally gernaded on me and I had to have it rebuilt again. I dont know if this could have cause the cone to weaken or not. The transfer works great and waas rebuilt. I also think that my front driveshaft might be to long and it might have been pushed back. I am going to check these things out before I do anything. Thanks for all the help.

Cacy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom