Mini build thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I'm back on this thread, those of you who don't know, I started this project, and my body shop guy pretty much screwed me by stopping work, even though paid more than work done. State Bureau of Automotive repair done with investigation, so I can move forward. My biggest problem is body shop took truck apart, so I have no idea if everything is there or not. I will be asking a lot of questions from you all to hopefully put this pig together. nothing was bagged or tagged. as I prepare to put body back on frame, my first question is does anyone know sizes of bolts that run thru body mounts? thanks up front

In the end, it’s nuts and bolts. Not really very complicated. Utilitarian, simple (fairly), and basic. A Haynes manual can get you through assembly of pretty much everything.
Start by posting some pics.

did not know that, thanks, just ordered
Ok mud-finally finished with State Bureau of Automotive repairs, i am free to start back up on my build, State did not want me touching vehicle till they documented every piece. A waste of time in my opinion, but onward! Have to put body back on frame so George at Valley Hybrids can install 5.3 from BD Turnkey. Have been picking up parts and puttering in garage with my rust bucket 70, always learn something new taking things apart. so today I pulled tailgate motor to look at gear, pulled a bolt and wham! springs compressed and through parts around. Found it all , but not sure if I should replace gear, it looks good, no chipping on teeth, but it is plastic. Plus according to SOR it is the later year style, and my 72 is earlier- but I know parts gets swapped alot- posting a pic, what do you think?

IMG_2156.jpg

You can run either gear in any year as long as you have the shaft that it mates to. Toyota sold the gear and shaft in a sub-assembly. Like others have said; run it but it will break. I installed a NOS gear in my pig last year and yours is very yellow compared to the "new" one. My guess is they get brittle with age and then go.

Make sure you use a grease that is plastic compatible when you reassemble; not all greases are.

Ok, i went out to farm today and stared at this pig in parts and under tarp, still makes me sick to look at or think about. Probably going to move it along as I am working on Steve, and then Ornch is promised to the princess-lots of pics coming

IMG_2802.jpg

IMG_2803.jpg

IMG_2804.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom