Millermatic 135 tip help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi everyone,
I went to use my Millermatic 135 this afternoon, and I had to replace the welding tip before I started to weld. I had purchased a package of real Miller 030 tips from the welding supply store, so I figured I was ready to go. Well I tripple checked the part numbers, and the tips are correct. The problem is that the tip seemingly not thread into the torch. It only threads in a small distance, and I think it sticks out a bit far. I attached a picture, what do you think? I don't think the threads are dirty...Any ideas?

Thanks,
Zack
welder tip.jpg

The nozzle is adjustable to change the tip stickout too. To see if the tip is threaded in far enough you need to remove the nozzle so we can see the tip itself...

Nick

Make sure the threads where the contact tip screws into are clean.

Yeah I hate that about my mm175. I seem to always have the nozzle just barely on to get the tip depth where I want it.

Yours looks a little bit too much tho.

Check the old tip to see if it screws in further then inspect the thrreads on the old tip. If it goes in further and when removed you notice the last two threads are rolled off then the tip reciever in the gun might have some bad threads down deep or a marble stuck in there.

Well I took the entire gun asembly to the welding shop today, and I had them stumpted for a while....They looked at the contact tip adapter (where the contact tip screws into), and figured the threads were cross-threaded at some point. So they pulled a new miller contact tip adapter off the shelf, and attempted to thread that onto the threads on the "elbow" piece, and it would not thread on....they used three new packages until they realized that the threads on the elbow must be bad. They replaced the elbow, and it all went together perfectly. The elbow threads must have been damaged at the factory when the machine was built, as I have never had the adapter apart. So all is well with my machine again...I just need to weld more!

Thanks,
Zack

I just wanted to add the importance of buying a quality brand name machine...At the local welding supply store (where I purchased the machine) they had every part in stock, and the did not charge me. The used thw Miller warr to deal with everything. I can't say enough about how great the welding shop is.

Zack