Military trailer options & the FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It looks like its based off of the M101s .. atleast the top half, at auction they are aren't that much money

quick google

Shipping Dimensions - DLALength: 140”; Width: 84”; Height: 69”
Machine Weight - DLAWeight: 2,724 lbs.

Govplanet .. 11'8" Overall Length x 84” Overall Width, Surge Brakes, 37x12.50R16.5 Tires, Pintle Ring.

It looks like its based off of the M101s .. atleast the top half, at auction they are aren't that much money

quick google

Shipping Dimensions - DLALength: 140”; Width: 84”; Height: 69”
Machine Weight - DLAWeight: 2,724 lbs.

Govplanet .. 11'8" Overall Length x 84” Overall Width, Surge Brakes, 37x12.50R16.5 Tires, Pintle Ring.

The M101’s were about 74” wide. So I’m not sure.
I just don’t want it to be M105 size.
But I can’t find ANY info online googling the numbers on the ID plate.

Here's a few options in ID which might not be too far from you. Not sure how beat up you're looking to go.

Looks like a standard Hummer trailer, kin to the green one above. They were made by several manufactures and a wide variety of uses/configurations, our green one was a generator trailer. Some of the numbers are silly, hard to decipher. In talking with Silver Eagle, the M1101 & M1102 are the exact same trailer, with a different weight rating. The early Hummer had a weaker rear cross member/hitch so needed a lower weight rated trailer.

The early ones were leaf spring, later torsion, both work well. The early has incandescent bulbs, latter LED, all 24v, making the early ones easier to change. They all have a unique plug, there is an adapter, but we just cut the plugs off and wired in a standard plug.

.........I don’t not intend to do any real trail off-roading with this set-up, mostly just to haul 4 kids worth of tents, sleeping bags, bikes, camping food & supplies several time a year. 10-12 hour freeway trips to reach destinations....

.........I still like the overbiltness of the military trailers. I’d like to be able to blast down desert roads full of firewood to friends cabins.
A utility trailer would ‘work’, but painfully slow.
I’d like to be able to drive trails to old quarries & collect granite & stuff too.
You've kinda changed your priorities, but that's fine. Yeah, the stoutness and simplicity of military trailers is, well obvious, but there's a price to be paid for that. And you'll find out towing on the pavement. Just so you realize that - is all I'm saying. Your fuel mileage and keeping up with traffic will suffer. It's more noticable on pavement than off. If I were to offer any advice it would be to upgrade your gears.......diffs or transfer case, whatever you choose. I suffered for years just adding armor and larger tires with anemic power and was planning on towing an off road trailer. After researching and asking advice, went with the 5.29s in the diffs and so glad I did.

Here's a few options in ID which might not be too far from you. Not sure how beat up you're looking to go.

To far is relative. Boise would be an 1,800 mile round trip!
You do have a nice selection of trailers out there though.

You've kinda changed your priorities, but that's fine. Yeah, the stoutness and simplicity of military trailers is, well obvious, but there's a price to be paid for that. And you'll find out towing on the pavement. Just so you realize that - is all I'm saying. Your fuel mileage and keeping up with traffic will suffer. It's more noticable on pavement than off. If I were to offer any advice it would be to upgrade your gears.......diffs or transfer case, whatever you choose. I suffered for years just adding armor and larger tires with anemic power and was planning on towing an off road trailer. After researching and asking advice, went with the 5.29s in the diffs and so glad I did.

I’ve got the Wits End turbo kit on order. Hopefully that helps.

It does look like the last trailer I posted is the M116a, the plain flat beds go for about $500 at auction. I could make some light weight sides for it possibly.

Yeah, the trouble is finding one, but a M101 CDN is probably your best bet if you want a ready to go military trailer that is about the right size. You can add side racks if the bed doesn't have enough capacity, although you'd have to fab stake pockets or something to attach them somehow.

Keep in mind that the 1/4 ton rating is the amphibious capacity, i.e. what it can float ashore or across the creek. Actual axle rating is at least 4x that, probably more, as it's probably of a similar capacity as one of the Dexter 4500 lb axles.

The M101 CDN can handle up to 33" tires in stock suspension trim, although the stock fenders likely won't cover them legally in many states. I had a set of custom fenders made that bolt on just like the originals.

v8vVup.jpg

Generically speaking,
Rather than dealing with the mil axle and the junk that's attached to it, getting a new Dexter axle makes things easy. You do have to build new spring perches, but the rest is straightforward. Standard capacity on their light axles is 4500 lb. They build to whatever width you want or need to fit. You can option brakes on one of these for a complete axle for about the same as adding brakes to an existing axle.

Anybody know anything about these trailers?
What size/equivalent they are?
Not sure if they are M105 or M101 sized.

View attachment 1990241

I have one of those, that started life as a generator trailer, stripped down to the frame for a camper build project I am SLOWLY progressing on. It is 84" outside of fender to outside of fender.

Once you switch the military tires and rims out for civilian ones it becomes a lot more civil. I have GM 8 lug rims and 33" BFGs on this one and I lowered the fenders to match the smaller tires. The pic below is what it looks like under the deck.

generator.jpg

I have one of those, that started life as a generator trailer, stripped down to the frame for a camper build project I am SLOWLY progressing on. It is 84" outside of fender to outside of fender.

Once you switch the military tires and rims out for civilian ones it becomes a lot more civil. I have GM 8 lug rims and 33" BFGs on this one and I lowered the fenders to match the smaller tires. The pic below is what it looks like under the deck.

View attachment 1990550
Cool project.

This is kinda my plan. Does it look easy to cut, sleeve, weld, & shorten the axle?
Or would getting an aftermarket axle seem easier?

I found these pics on this website. I’ll probably try to narrow the floor & bring the fenders in too.
Silver tape lines are potential cut marks.
Outside line would put it 72” & inside line would be 66”.
60962672-C45B-4D08-8740-B08541A18C46.png
8FB71361-7A03-4C7B-B5A0-5F354E503A77.png
CF3DCA9C-2448-4E28-B690-C4ED2C7826CC.png

As has been mentioned earlier, I would go with the custom width Dexter axle. They are reasonable in price, exactly what width, bolt pattern, and brake option you want, and you then know the maintenance history of your new axle.

The other challenge with keeping the military surge brakes is that you occasionally need to lock them out backing up an incline and, depending on the state, they may or may not be road legal.

As has been mentioned earlier, I would go with the custom width Dexter axle. They are reasonable in price...SNIP

Last time I checked, you can get the complete 4500# axle with brakes and parking brake option for around $400. If you have the chops, scrap pile, parts, and tools to modify an axle, then you might beat that price, but if you have to buy anything else or pay someone to do the work, you'll probably be money ahead with the new Dexter axle.

If it was me, I would replace the hub/axle to obtain a lug pattern that matches my tow rig so I can use a wheel from the trailer as a spare in an emergency.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom