Military trailer ID. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I don't have any pictures but have an old military trailer that I am not sure which it is. It may be similar to an M101, it has no sides or back, just the front that is sloped back with a bar going up and over from one side to the other. Rest is kind of like a flat bed with fenders.

It has a hand brake and drum brakes on the wheels. I don't have any pictures at the moment. I was looking to use it to build some sort of pop up camper and storage.

Do these have a serial or model number somewhere to tell what they are? This is larger than the M416 I believe.

Sounds like a 3/4 ton generator trailer. There should be data plates on the front body and tongue

M116A2 This is mine,
$(KGrHqJ,!mIE9I6wh-NCBPmqpBTETQ~~60_57.jpg
197799_414403045265528_1440195103_n.jpg

I found the data plates on the tongue. It is a 3/4 ton M116, similar to this one; http://olive-drab.com/images/id_m116_trailer_01_700.jpg

No sides but it has a front wall on it. I would like to outfit it with some sort of pop up camper or tent. We'll see but many more projects with priority in front of it.

Since it is more or less a flat bed I am thinking of finding an old school canvas pop up camper and cutting the bottom middle sides to fit the trailers fenders and dropping it down on it. Then outfit it with some racks for kayaks, canoes and bikes.

Last edited:
Yep, that's what they used for alot things. A single genorater is mounted between the wheel wells. Great trailer for your idea. Very heavyduty. If you keep the braking system, it would be wise to go through the brakes.

Toying with the idea of mounting my pop up on top. Setting it on a platform level with the top of the fenders. Then putting storage, drawers, and slide out steps underneath camper between the trailer bed and bottom of camper.

I have a 1964 Cox Camper. Needs new canvas but replacements available. The M116 looks to be about 780lbs. The Cox Camper is 960 lbs so it would be around 1750 lbs without any gear/water storage drawers etc. I need to get some measurements but dimensions of both are close.

M116 trailer is my dad's. Still, too much going on to get to it...

Canvas looks good in pictures but has some rot going on. Not bad for over 50 years old but worse now than this photo.

100_8446.JPG
100_8428.JPG

Last edited:
Your trailer has the Budd wheels on it, same your Dad's M37s. Split ring wheels, I have them on my M37 (pain).

Your trailer has the Budd wheels on it, same your Dad's M37s. Split ring wheels, I have them on my M37 (pain).

Indeed. Those wheels can be quite dangerous to work with too I believe. I remember he bought this trailer many years ago for the brakes. He had plans to use them on something else I believe.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom