Help Wanted Military Skillbridge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Not sure where else to post this so here it is.

If any of you employers/businesses aren't aware of the SkillBridge program, you essentially "hire" a retiring or separating military member for up to a 180-day unpaid internship before their official separation/retirement (they still get paid by the military). The member is still technically in the military, assigned to their unit, but are working for the employer as an intern full time, anywhere in the US or overseas. There's little more to it, but that's the general jist. The employer can get tax benefits and a potential hire after their intern is finish, the intern gets six months of real world experience in a field of their interest. Helpful for people with 20+ years in who joined when they were 18.

Pretty cool opportunity for both the intern and the company.
The only thing is the company/business needs to apply, it's a super easy process. Fill out the form and I think you need a "training plan" from what I hear (i.e. week 1-3 learn welding, week 4-7 inventory, ect…).

It's a DoD program outlined in "DoD Instruction 1322.29" so it's legit, not some scam or 3rd party program.

I know of a bunch of people that have done the program and loved it. I know there are a bunch of military folks on here that would love to work for a Cruiser shop for a few months. I'm also looking to do this program in 2 to 4 years when I push the retirement button too so hopefully a couple shops sign up by then.

Edit: Fixed some caffeine-induced grammar mistakes.

Last edited:
Six months of sweeping floors and organizing bolts totally beats six months of trying to manage five dozen Gen Z'ers fresh out of high school. 😁

Amen brother. I hired a 20 year old that has been into drag racing with his family since he was a kid. He had fair mechanical skills and ZERO life skills. Not a clue. I had to fire him for my sanity. I had a guy in my club approach me with the very same program. I just do not have the room for another body in the shop. A larger building is in the plans but late this year more likely next year at the earliest.

I have a Skillbridge candidate starting May 4th, looks like a great program!

I'm looking for folks skilled in automotive electronics, wiring, etc. in San Antonio, TX or up in Ann Arbor, MI.

-Rob

What's the business name?
I'm at the Southwest Research Institute. Southwest Research Institute - https://www.swri.org/

I manage the Electronics and Support section in the Automotive Engineering division. We provide wiring, electronics and controls support for vehicle and test cell projects. Let me know if you're interested in talking about a rotation!

Thank you
-Rob

Awesome writeup boss and great call bringing this up - it really is a solid program. I'm in the same boat, will be punching out/retiring and "looking" for work maybe as early as this fall. Looking for something new to do, maybe in CO, UT or WA areas.

Sorry to piggy back but I'm in the same boat and ready for a change. Two plus decades of Naval aviation management and acquisition... Hell I'm ready for that broom again too.

Awesome writeup boss and great call bringing this up - it really is a solid program. I'm in the same boat, will be punching out/retiring and "looking" for work maybe as early as this fall. Looking for something new to do, maybe in CO, UT or WA areas.

Sorry to piggy back but I'm in the same boat and ready for a change. Two plus decades of Naval aviation management and acquisition... Hell I'm ready for that broom again too.

Hell yeah man, it'll be 22 years when I hang it up. Very much looking forward to something different.

Let me know what you find for a Skillbridge gig!

The SkillBridge intent is not for an employer to get labor from a military member for six months. The intent is for the employer to adequately train the servicemember for a position in the industry to be fully qualified by the end of the program, with some exceptions for extended qualifications like CDL, welding, piloting, etc. It is a great program but gets abused by both employers and servicemembers through either lack of training opportunities, servicemember out-of-pocket expenses, or lack of oversight.

For those looking for opportunities, when applying speak frankly with businesses about their employment opportunities. There are too many stories of servicemembers working shifts, developing programs, or sitting around all day and the employer never had the intention of hiring. Also, speak with them about what certification or training expenses they will cover. Some programs want you to pay all expenses and turn around to pay just above minimum wage. Other industries will fully pay/reimburse for training courses and testing.

The SkillBridge intent is not for an employer to get labor from a military member for six months. The intent is for the employer to adequately train the servicemember for a position in the industry to be fully qualified by the end of the program, with some exceptions for extended qualifications like CDL, welding, piloting, etc. It is a great program but gets abused by both employers and servicemembers through either lack of training opportunities, servicemember out-of-pocket expenses, or lack of oversight.

For those looking for opportunities, when applying speak frankly with businesses about their employment opportunities. There are too many stories of servicemembers working shifts, developing programs, or sitting around all day and the employer never had the intention of hiring. Also, speak with them about what certification or training expenses they will cover. Some programs want you to pay all expenses and turn around to pay just above minimum wage. Other industries will fully pay/reimburse for training courses and testing.

For sure. The key is to go into it with realistic expectations with a mutual understanding between the employer and the service member. That said, everyone I know who participated in the program said its a fantastic opportunity for civilian job experience either way, even if you don't end up accepting (or receiving) a job offer.

For sure. The key is to go into it with realistic expectations with a mutual understanding between the employer and the service member. That said, everyone I know who participated in the program said its a fantastic opportunity for civilian job experience either way, even if you don't end up accepting (or receiving) a job offer.
They sure are lucky. I chose an aviation company with a phenomenal sales pitch on the growth of their company and all the opportunities it presents. The only two SkillBridgers offered a plentiful opportunity are the two already flight instructors. The rest of us do not get trained in the business but are asked to use our skills to revitalize failed programs. Granted I am a one-off case, but others in the same program have acquaintances going through the same scenario. I wish I had known more prior to going into the program.

They sure are lucky. I chose an aviation company with a phenomenal sales pitch on the growth of their company and all the opportunities it presents. The only two SkillBridgers offered a plentiful opportunity are the two already flight instructors. The rest of us do not get trained in the business but are asked to use our skills to revitalize failed programs. Granted I am a one-off case, but others in the same program have acquaintances going through the same scenario. I wish I had known more prior to going into the program.

Interesting.

I'm in Senior TAP right now and most folks are saying the people they've heard who have done the program loved it. Research and expectation management is the key.

Also, I'm hearing that the company/business might not need to be approved, directly, for Skillbridge. If the service member requests the company through an intermediary like Hiring Heros USA, the business' approval would fall under the umbrella of Hiring Heros. This may take more time since there's another middle man in the mix but it's another option for those individuals/businesses interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom