Military Clevis/Shackle and tow cable. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Found these today on-line. Looking for feed back. Has anyone seen the this "off-set" bow shackle design before? Used or experinced this shackle under load? Also, military 25' tow cable, again military spec, good price. Any engineers have a problem with the cable clamp bolts?
1908.gif
Steel. 1¾ in. opening. Proof load 7,000 lbs. Price includes 6 clevises. Is this "off-set" bow shape designed to improve the WLL? This is a military shackle, built to military standards. Any thoughts?
2712.gif
25 ft. long x 5/16 in. cable. Locking swivel hook on one end and a steel ring on the other end. Made in the U.S.A.

don't know about those shackles but the asymmetry is likely not a desirable thing from a strength point of view. Could be handy if there is interference though.

the clamps to hold the loop are a perfectly fine way to go in principle, providing they are positioned properly and in the correct number. Info out there on that. (Can't see well, so not sure, but photo suggests they may have been put on backwards?)

Nothing wrong with using clamps/clips to fasten terminal ends on wire rope. I much prefer a swagged sleeve to clamps just because its much neater....and less bulky.

It appears in the photo that they may be applied incorrectly though. If you order the cable and find that the "saddle" is on the "dead" portion of the line, then you'll want to change it.

Remember the old adage "never saddle a dead horse".

e9999 and flintknapper-

Thanks for your respected opinions. I'll look elsewhere for the shackles, but I am going to jump on the cable, remembering FK's adage. e9999 saw your avatar on South West airline's new "welcome aboard safety message"- cracks me up every time I see it. Thanks again!!

Van

Hi All:

Well, share the wealth! That is, share the link to where they are selling these military surplus bits! :D

Regards,

Alan

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom